BUND Traders-Serious!!!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, May 1, 2007.

1. thanks NazAttack...can you answer this question I've had regarding Bund trading...Question...I live and trade from the USA through a US futures broker. If I trade the Euro Bund, do I need to pay taxes in Europe? File a tax return in Europe? A Europe transaction tax or anything else?...or, it just goes into factoring my normal US taxes only at the year end?

#31     Feb 9, 2011
  2. I scalp bund futures (fgbl) from short side time to time. (target 6-7 ticks, SL 10 ticks)What I have spotted is that mark fisher's ACD methodology pretty works there at least until US bonds open (opening range of 15 mins, german time(08-08.15)A value of 8 ticks, C 5 ticks) Also open a time&sales screen and look for big (>100). they generally follow up. An additional checkpoint may be to watch bund future option implied volatility although I didnt personally try it. (most probably IV will rise when underlying is about to break)

#32     Feb 19, 2011
  3. bone

bone

"or, it just goes into factoring my normal US taxes only at the year end?"

Eurex and Liffe/Euronext both have CFTC "no action" letters on file, which means you just use form 1256:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6781.pdf

Your broker will also provide a 1099-B to the IRS. So, if you're a US citizen you just pay US taxes on Eurex and Liffe futures.

#33     Feb 28, 2011
  4. awesome! thanks so much Bone!

#34     Mar 1, 2011
  5. What is the cash market for the bund futures and what time does it trade? I've googled but haven't found much.

#35     Mar 1, 2011
  6. it is all here www.eurexchange.com

#36     Mar 1, 2011
  7. Hey Bone...if you were going to do a 1 contract vs. 1 contract spread...would it be 10y vs Euro Bund or 5yr vs Euro Bund?...or would have to add come contracts to even out?

#37     Mar 1, 2011
  8. I haven't found it. Just in case, I want to be precise: I'm looking for information on the underlying for which the bund futures are the derivative. I'm not looking for information on the bund futures.

Thanks

#38     Mar 1, 2011
  9. pls check http://www.eurexchange.com/trading/products/INT/FIX/FGBL_en.html

to summarize, underlying for bund futures is any swiss, italian or german bond with remaining term 8.5-10.5 years and coupon rate of 6 percent. (also some constraints with issue amount, other dates etc.)

this brings something called cheapest to deliver (CTD) because there are many types of bonds fulfilling this requirement. obviously cheapest will be selected for delivery. CTD value has also some implications for selecting ratios at bund/schatz/bobl spreads

#39     Mar 1, 2011
  10. Anyone recommend a good prop shop in London, specifically in terms of atmosphere?

Had a look at a few places but they looked like proper depressing. Don't want a bunch of loser’s negativity bringing me down.

#40     Mar 1, 2011