BUND Traders-Serious!!!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, May 1, 2007.

1. It doesn't matter if you subconciously see the algo's. The edge that traders used to have in the Bund was taken away by the algo's. They take away inefficiencies in the market. Now by no means does that mean money can't be made by a discretionary trader...you have to find something new that works. Here is a link that I think may explain things better as the Bund evolved.

http://i-found-my-holygrail.blogspot.com/2005/09/worlds-most-successful-trader-paul.html

Paul Rotter alludes to the fact that when US traders took on Eurex, the markets became more difficult to capitalize on. This is from 2005. Right around the time that the talk of algo's really having an effect on the markets was taking place. Not sure where Paul Rotter is today.

I hope this gives some more insight.

#21     Dec 10, 2010
  2. "algo's... take away inefficiencies in the market"

Hilarious.

#22     Dec 10, 2010
  3. Isn't this true of all markets? Is there a market that the algos aren't in??

Maybe these algos closed some opportunities and opened others.

#23     Dec 10, 2010
  4. Quote from GuyFawkes on 8-22-10

"Hey treasury traders.-------------------------------------------------------
    I asked this question a while back. Got totally ignored and probabaly will again.
    I traders at an office of one of the biggest clearers in Chicago and nobody is making money. It's depressing. There are rumors every now and then about people doing well but I'm tempted to believe that it is fiction.
    High turnover of traders in a half full office - I can only think that it is down to the sales force being able to attract traders from smaller doomed outfits, that we are not all but empty.
    In short it's a highly depressing office.
    I am the type of person that has done better in offices where people are making money.
    So where are they? Is anyone anywhere situated in a good office?
    All I hear is doom and gloom so are there any good stories?
    All I hear is stories of someone blowing their brains out once in a while.
    & beware because I will follow up on any recommendations because I do want to make a move.
    Anybody?"----------------------------------------------------------------------

You're a tool, my dude.

#24     Dec 10, 2010
  5. Yes, it's absolutely true. The point is that a lot of guys got kicked out of markets, losers like guyfawkes, who can't hack it in this business. Like anything else, you need to constantly adjust or you'll get ran over. A lot of the 2000-2005 electronic traders started getting killed around '06, largely due to algo's taking away inefficiencies in the market.

You sound like a newer trader, so you wouldn't know the type of edge I'm talking about. The markets will keep moving, and there's plenty of opportunity out there. I'm just letting you know why a lot of Bund guys are now gone. Trade it up, bud.

#25     Dec 10, 2010
  6. I wouldn't know about those days, I started 2007 and spent 2 years clueless & lost. ;)

But trading bund now for 6 months and I love it. To each his own, everyone just has to find what works for them. I plan to increase from 2 to 3 contracts soon and hopefully stay on track.

#26     Dec 10, 2010
  7. Ticktaker -I think that the argument that algos make the market more efficient is a joke. I didn't say that your mother was fat or a whore did I.
    Make an argument if you want to but there's really no need to resort to personal insults.
    Calm down. Don't get your knickers in a twist....

#27     Dec 10, 2010
  8. GF, you really just don't get it. You make some of the most moronic comments/statements I've ever seen...then you go over to threads practically begging for a job. Brah, you're slow to the take. That is why I will propose the following suggestion to your bold statement: "& beware because I will follow up on any recommendations because I do want to make a move.
    Anybody?"

Take a boat, a rope, and a 100 lb dumb bell and ride out to the middle of lake michigan.

It'll be a quick resolution for that depression.

#28     Dec 10, 2010
  9. Hello again Ticktaker. What a delightful response.
    Thank you so much for taking an interest in me, but let me clarifiy one point. I trade my own capital. I did not ask anyone for a job, and I am not asking anyone for a job. Don't be in such a rush to jump to conclusions.
    So I'm a loser and I make moronic statements-is that just me or anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view?
    Sorry to disappoint you but I was going to enjoy my weekend rather than kill myself.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend too.

#29     Dec 10, 2010
  10. I've been trading Bunds since 1996 and think its a great contract to trade, the exchange fees are reasonalble, unlike all Globex products (roughly 3 times more expensive) and if converting to USD, its a nice conversion for the past few years.

It is, however, a tough contract to trade for the faint of heart or beginners.. the moves are sometimes illogical, but if you maintain your view points and practice good risk management, you will do fine.

Also, the algo/automated arguement is BS.. IMO, as long as there is a bid/offer and movement up & down, it is a tradable market. I frankly believe that much of the negative talk in this area comes from traders that cannnot be successful, so rather than blame themselves.. they blame the programs and thats a bunch of BS. The only time I feel any degree of manipulation is near days end when the market is thin enough for one trader to really move it around, or prevent it from moving lower or higher along with the US 10 yr note.

#30     Jan 25, 2011