"Bullets"

Discussion in 'Options' started by qazmax, Aug 8, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

OK, I think I get it:

1) IIF, you are gonna trade the stock, and
    2) you want to be able to short it, and
    3) you were gonna probably buy the bullet EVERY day from now until expiration [actually, you would do the conversion in this case.]

THEN and ONLY THEN, would you do what you are saying.

I guess I never thought about this, but you are correct - you are better off putting on a married put on "by hand" if the firm allows it [you cannot use the "one day bullet" version that these guys at prop firms are talking about,] and ASSUMING the margin requirements (buying power) is diminished ever so slightly if at all.

This is as opposed to buying the conversion at once - but by doing it your way, you have also left the possibility of having the stock rise and be able to sell the call before expiration to give you a locked profit in the conversion?

nifty.

nitro

PS - of course, I just realized this is not risk free, as if the stock goes down, the premium you could have gotten by selling the DOM call will diminish - true, it is so little anyway...

#41     Aug 12, 2002
  2. I was told last week that Cybertrader is going to offer bullets in September. I think they are the first DAT to do so, excluding Tradestation which offers them to institutions.

The reason that I have contacted a pro firm is to have access to bullets. It is frustrating to be right and out because the price traded away without an uptik.

And remember...

#42     Aug 12, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

inand,

Hmmm ... Is this the bullet version that requires two accounts - or is it like the ones at prop, that is, all it is really costing you is the comission and non of this "jumping through hoops" to get one?

nitro

#43     Aug 12, 2002
  4. That is a good question nitro. I will call in the morning and find out more details.

:)

#44     Aug 12, 2002
  5. Gaz,

I know this is a late comment, but....
    FYI I have spoken at length with a securities lawyer with a major securities law firm about the use of bullets. Many of their lawyers used to work at SEC.

SEC is well aware of bullets. They are understood and accepted.

The attorney said, "they are a fiction." "Bullets are an economic toll booth."

#45     Aug 12, 2002
  6. qazmax

qazmax

Might be easier to just go buy the call...

#46     Aug 12, 2002
  7. qazmax

qazmax

Any idea why retail firms do not offer them? Is it economics or regulatory?

#47     Aug 12, 2002
  8. qazmax

qazmax

This is assuming that the bullet is just an offsetting ITM put... it is suposed to be a short call and long put.

I bet the only reason bulet companies were closed after Sep 11. is for book work, and sysem updating (counting all the commish they make selling fake positions).

If the bullets have a one day expiration then it does not matter what happened after the close on Sept 10.

#48     Aug 12, 2002
  9. Very interesting about Cyber offering bullets. I was wondering when some retail firm would get into that act. I've about had it with the pompous 'its only for props' line.

I may actually have to give Cyber some commission biz, instead of only using them for my charting and quotes.

#49     Aug 12, 2002
  10. There currently is a retail firm that offers "bullets." I will not pretend however that I am a happy customer that happened to stumble across them. I do have a business relationship with them and don't want to piss anyone off that feels that I am trying to further my own success. Which I am of course. If the thread votes to reveal the name of the firm I will be pleased to post the URL of the firm.

#50     Aug 13, 2002