Building your own trading computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Apr 6, 2010.

1. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

I built almost this same system as the OP at roughly the same cost-- only went with 6GB instead of 12GB but the cost of win 7 64-bit pro made up the difference.

Went 750 watt power supply and a different CPU cooler, but cheaped out on the dual video cards, 4 monitors.

Similar systems I priced out were around $1800, and that's with some cheapo parts.

So what's the benefit:

I run 3 virtual instances of this comp where one strictly does data-mining, backtesting, one trades my systems, and the other backtests using an entirely different system and platform.

Result: this puppy flys! Super quiet, efficient.

I had absolutely zero experience building computers and most of my friends would call me computer illiterate.

So I saved $500, forced myself to learn something I would otherwise take for granted, and couldn't be happier with my set-up.

Not bad for a random sunday...

#51     May 11, 2010
  2. You say you went cheap on the dual video cards?

Which cards did you choose?

#52     May 12, 2010
  3. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

i got the EVGA GeForce GT 220s 1GB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 for $70 apiece (with $20 rebate)

Here's my total build from microcenter & tiger direct (prices include rebates)

Intel Core i7 930 $199
    Asus P6T motherboard $229
    Seagate barracuda 1 TB $79
    Samsung 22x DVD RW Burner $22
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler $30
    Antec 300 ATX Case $50
    2 vid cards from above $139
    OCZ Tech Gold XTC 6GB DDR3 $170
    Corsair TX750W Power supply $99 (tiget direct)
    Window 7 64 bit pro $120 (tiger direct)
    new keyboard/mouse $40
    tax (NJ) $40

total $1220

#53     May 13, 2010
  4. About $1,200 is the going rate for an "i7 on x58 mobo" rig these days.

Anybody in the market might want to check out CyberpowerPC. They're running a special for such a rig (a little less on the specs, but upgradable to one's tastes) for $954 with an extra $50 off if price is $999 or more. Looks like all main stream parts, 3 year warranty.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

#54     May 14, 2010
  5. You're right. Bad idea for most people, like you. Most people are too dumb, too simple & too scared to do something like build their own computer. That's why you have a piece of crap Dell, the equivalent of which I can put together for almost half the price.

#55     May 14, 2010
  6. I agree. I was giving this quote by a local guy who has been in business for 18 years.

SYSTEM: AMD Phenom Workstation 1355.00
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4N75 TD
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 1065 X 6 core (Passmark benchmark 5722)
    HARD DRIVE: Western Dig 500Gb 7200 RPM SATA II
    OPTICAL DRIVE: Lite On 22/24X DVD-R/W
    RAM: 8Gb (4 X 2 ) DDR3 – 1333
    CASE/PS: 600 Watt Mid -Tower
    VIDEO: (2) 512Mb nVidia GeForce 8400 Dual head
    SOUND: 6 channel Dolby 5.1
    NIC: 1.0Gbit Ethernet
    KEYBOARD: std
    HAU-H1250T Hauppauge 1187 WinTV-HVR-1250 Hybird PCI-Ex1 TV Tuner
    MOUSE: optiscroll
    SPEAKERS: 3 piece w/sub-woof
    OP. SYS: Win 7/64 Home Prem

I use Tradestation which is not native 64 Bit. Their support tells me that XP 32 bit is the best to use so if I buy it I will probably get that plus change the asus board to one with the new 890fx chip set.

John

#56     May 14, 2010
  7. Wrong. You find components on sale, get them shipped and build it. Your only costs are the components, shipping and your time. You are not paying someone else's labor cost, their overhead and profit margins.

I've done so much comparison when I built my PC and what you say is simply wrong. The only way is right if someone requires particular components and has to rely on the PC shop's volume discounts.

As for Dell, in my opinion, they are good for low end machines, especially if you need to outfit a business. When it comes to medium and high end, I can do better by building it myself. Additionally, Dell gets volume discounts by ordering parts that are slightly subpar to their retail counterparts.

#57     May 14, 2010
  8. you guys are just throwing components/money at it have no clue what hardware you really need ..funny its a joke just throwing $ at a problem :D

when you buy a car you try to figure out what the dealer has in it, right? yyou bargain from there. you just don't throw money at him do you?

determine the minimum config that you need then you can make intelligent choice

what is least you can get away with bargain from there
    :confused:

#58     May 14, 2010
  9. What you need is not what I need or what someone else needs.

And needs and wants are different.

And yes, it's common to buy a new car, take it to a shop and tear it down, and keep throwing money at it.

Sound
    Rims
    Lift Kits on trucks
    Tires too
    Custom Paint
    It's endless.
    To me a car is a tool but plenty of other people WANT something different even though they don't need it.

If you tinker in an IRA doing 10 trades a year you don't need what someone who trades 2,500 ES contracts per day needs.

It's a very diverse world we have. Things are not always what they seem.

#59     May 14, 2010
  10. I respect you, Anaconda, as someone who posted quite a bit on ET. "Wrong" is a strong word. I said "most likely". Because what you said maybe right if you don't factor in *your time*.

Time to hunt for bargains. Time to wait for them to come on sale. Time to get your part A from here and part B from there. Time to redo things if you couldn't get it right the first time. Time to talk to a buddy learning how to build it if you are not sure.

Everybody's time conversion rate is different. It wouldn't be economical to DIY if I factor in my time. But I happen to be a computer enthusiast.

#60     May 15, 2010