Building Synthetic Currency Pairs using Futures

Discussion in 'Trading' started by heispark, Dec 10, 2018.

1. heispark

heispark

In Forex, to build synthetic cross currency pairs, for example to buy EURJPY, we can buy EURUSD and buy USDJPY at the same time (yes, cost is higher). Is this also true in currency Futures? Can I just buy E6 one contract and sell J6 one contract at the same time to mimic EURJPY buy trade? Does this exactly follow EURJPY chart in Forex? Are there any factors to consider when I do this? I made some Google research but it seems it's not that simple.... I don't fully understand its logic. Can anyone help me?
    I am asking this because I am a swing/position trader and I often trade cross currency pairs. Trading Forex is costly due to high swap rate. In Futures, rollover cost is not that expensive....
    Thanks,

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. Yes, it does. However futures more or less mimic the cost of carry too. Plus you pay double commission in case of trading futures spread vs. FX cross.

heispark likes this.
  3. Things to consider:
    1) Execution costs (as you stated, will be higher w/ 2x the trades)
    2) Bid/Ask spread costs will be doubled (as you're paying the worse 2x)
    3) Contract size: make sure the contracts sizes line up
    i.e. AUD future is A$100,000 = $71,800; EUR is €125,000 = $141,875, so if you wanted to sell a synthetic EUR/AUD, you'd have to sell 1xEUR, buy 2xAUD​
    4) Margin: you will need to put up full margin for both trades

heispark likes this.
  4. Specifically for EURJPY, there is a reasonably liquid EJY contract that you can trade too

heispark likes this.