Building My Trading Rig (A Documentary)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tums, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Tums - your project will be loads of fun but I have to agree with gnome. A gaming-style rig is overkill for trading. Trading is not taxing on a modern CPU at all. It's like buying a new Ford Shelby Mustang with a 450-hp 32-valve V8 and never going over 35mph.

My guess for trading is that the performance bottleneck will either be your broker's server or your internet connection. I doubt that enough threads of a dedicated trading computer will be used to justify a dual core CPU. The only high end component that is truly needed are good video cards to drive multiple big monitors. In that case the GPUs will relieve a bunch of the video processing work from the CPU, again making dual core unnecessary.

OTOH, there is a benefit to overspecifying a computer besides the fun of building it. You'll get more years of service out of it because it will have enough reserve horsepower to handle future bloatware from Windows, Java, etc. There. I just rationalized your fun project :)

#31     Feb 24, 2008
  2. This is the fun part.
    Watching all the pieces coming together!

[​IMG]

EDIT: boxes are empty and unit is together and awesome.

#32     Feb 24, 2008
  3. Agreed 100%

#33     Feb 24, 2008
  4. I'm not a big fan of multiple +12v rail power supplies.

Besides, I believe that PC Power & Cooling has units that would blow the Corsair or the Antec Solo away. As it is, an 18 amp +12v rail is not a big deal. The 300w power supply in my Dell Vostro-400 comes with an 18 amp +12v rail!

#34     Feb 24, 2008
  5. Joab

Joab

Question:

Someone highly recommended a

Automatic Disk Defragmentor program

http://www.perfectdisk.com/?gclid=CMfrrKrr3ZECFQJEPAodgiZPgA

He said that charting and trading software programs are notorious for spreading info all over the place and this software makes a big difference to performance.

True or False?

#35     Feb 24, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

It takes LOTS of fragmenting to have a noticeable impact on XP.

I've had PerfectDisk for years, and in spite of its marketing claims, I find no better performance with it than with the one included in XP... a version of DiskKeeper Lite.

#36     Feb 24, 2008
  7. jtnet

jtnet

my main concern for my desktop was for it to be as quiet as possible.

#37     Feb 24, 2008
  8. Tums

Tums

I knew this would be an overkill. ;-)

Like I said in my first post, if you didn't know it, you would think I was building a gaming machine.

What the heck, life is short. I have reached a point in my life where I have to stop dreaming my dreams and to start living them. If I were to build a machine, I want to build a dream machine.

#38     Feb 24, 2008
  9. It's not overkill for me. Every nanosecond counts.

M

#39     Feb 24, 2008
  10. Tums

Tums

Good to know that the fans are quiet.
    Now I am tempted to get this box.

#40     Feb 24, 2008