Building my own Core2Duo system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notouch, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Just because Apollo 11 got to the moon on 32KB's of ram doesn't mean we all have to buy girly Apple computers Savant

#31     Sep 26, 2006
  2. said in Swartzenegger's voice....Traders make my day :) as I pull out my scuzzi driven Bill gates enforcer... (it has a blue laser light in its case, and when I pull the trigger it makes simulated machine gun racheting noises)

#32     Sep 26, 2006
  3. trader28...

shouldn't you be trading? i didn't charge you a desk fee just to sit around talking on ET...

#34     Sep 26, 2006
  4. notouch

notouch

Could you recommend a system for the ultimate in quietness and reliability?

#35     Sep 26, 2006
  5. notouch

notouch

I think his point was that it's an old and cheap Asus. Also I'm finding it very informative to research for this PC and it might even be good fun to spend a weekend building it once I have all the parts.

#36     Sep 26, 2006
  6. My computer has attained sentience and trades for me... thats what happens when you shell out a few bucks instead of whining like a bum about how all you need is a pocket calculator to run your charts

#37     Sep 26, 2006
  7. hey doesn't HP have a calculator that runs Excel? does it come in red and have those buttons with funny symbols?

hey I could trade commodities..where they draw their charts by hand...hmmm...let's see lumber for katrina...

New Commercial...Got Graph Paper?

#38     Sep 26, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

You might want to do an internet search. There are companies who advertise "quiet" PCs... mostly to be used as part of home entertainment centers where you wouldn't want fan noise to distract from your movie.

Most of the noise comes from the PSU, CPU cooler, and video cards. You can build (or replace parts) to quiet specs yourself.

Or, I hear the recent Dell 9100-9200s are very quiet. Then just get video cards without fans and you'd be all set.

(My trading rig is a Dell 8300... it's low noise because of the CPU cooler. Then, I've replaced the PSU with a SilenX. I have 3 video cards + TV tuner, but no GPU fans. It all runs nice and cool/quiet.)

If you want a gaming machine, high heat and high fan noise are OK because the audio from the games will drown it out. But all that noise, all day long can be a drag for trading.

#39     Sep 26, 2006
  9. gnome gave me the best advice when I had the bug...hey gnome.. I have a Dell 8250 did you know that?

#40     Sep 26, 2006