Building a systematic trading system part 5 -accounting

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by globalarbtrader, Aug 6, 2015.

1. If you tell someone you're trading, the first thing they'll usually ask is "Have you made any money?"

Most traders I've known are pretty obsessed with that question as well. Knowing the answer to that query isn't as important as you might think, since it's better to be focused on process than outcome, although I must admit I do check my own profit more often than I need to. Nevertheless it's necessary to have some idea of your profitability for a number of reasons. In this post I'll explain how I do it.

This is the fifth post in a series giving pointers on the nuts and bolts of building systematic trading systems.

Much more (because of ET's 10K character limit on posting), in the usual place:
    http://qoppac.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/systems-building-accounting.html

GAT

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I bumped the character limit to 30k, just FYI.

3. Thanks! I do tend to go on a bit....

4. jj1111

jj1111

@GAT it takes me a few days, honestly, to read your posts (excellent posts, mind you)

5. Redneck

Redneck

GAT

I'm going to plagiarize your opening post here and post it in another member's journal

Although we (he and I) are manual traders..., this goes directly to the heart of what is necessary - and reiterates in a much more eloquent way what I've been trying to convey

Thank You Sir

RN

6. No worries

I'm flattered

GAT

Redneck likes this.