Building a new tower ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andy4, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Stop right there!
    Two issues wrong:
    1) sharing your trading machine with anyone else, let alone your children.
    2) an outdated V90/56kb modem.

The modem tells me you know nothing about communications and protocols. Simply put, nothing less than a V92 modem, which includes almost up to 4x faster compression than the V90 protocols.

Also, you don't have a Lan card. These used to be the only high gain broadband inputs to machines, now they are used as backup inputs.

You didn't mention your USB level. It is presummed that its at 1.0, however, you should settle for nothing less than USB 2.0. This will be your primary means of input for your realtime market data, and so forth.

Also, plan on either 2way Cable modem or DSL (ASDL, SDSL, etc.). Settle for nothing less, otherwise your fall back is on the V92 modem as input.

As far as building a machine, and you're not being computer literate, then you're as much a sucker for advertising as we all are. Thunderbird over anyother does not matter, however, the name sure makes you think you're getting somewheres.

Net, net, net -- Costco, Sam's Club, not BJ's. See what upper (highest priced) system they offer, and buy it there, inclusive of monitor, software and such. You can get DVD/RW, 1GB memory, 17" LCD / 19" LCD and a whole host of other essential goodies, along with USB 2.0 and such, and alls you do is open the box.

What you're planning on doing is not trading but wasting precious trading time building a machine, and never being sure whether the components will ever fit, work together or warranty should you start getting various "bug errors".

Face it, you need "no worries", Ha-kunna Muh-tah-ta!

what you're planning on no longer saves the money it used to, and is frought with all sorts of problems that only those in the business (technology, for technology's sake) could solve.

Cheers

#91     Sep 23, 2002

2. www.newegg.com gots an AMD ATHLON XP 2000+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL BOX for $112.00 ..you do the math.

#92     Sep 23, 2002
  3. is this the new and improved Egghead Software chain?

#93     Sep 23, 2002
  4. yes it is. great products & service. i order everything from them @half the price you'd buy from Dell (almost)

#94     Sep 23, 2002
  5. gnome

gnome

If you want to have the capability of multiple monitors, Sony makes a notebook with 16" UXGA display... very nice display. It also is set up to run 2 monitors, if you choose. Check Best Buy, Micro Center, if interested... about $2200. Considering the features, maybe not too bad a deal.

#95     Sep 23, 2002
  6. Their system can run three total monitors. That's what I was looking for, do you know of any other systems that do that? I've also read some pretty bad reviews about Sony's level of support, etc. I'm a little leary of them.

Thanks,
    James

#96     Sep 23, 2002
  7. mktman

mktman

Wish Newegg had a competitive price on Samsung 19" LCD Model #191T. Price is more than Dell.

Prefer to order from them but not at that price.

Trust them the most.

#97     Sep 23, 2002