Building a large block +100k shares

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Nobert, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Nobert

Nobert

How long does it take for you, to build one ?

Is it - all in, or you do it like, 100x 1000, to somehow reduce the burden of commissions etc.

What about unloading it ?

Heard about this prop firm who had a +3M~ stake in some oil drilling comp & and it turned out that ~30% of the expected oil reservoirs were empty, thus it took them few months to sell out their position. (obviously, the vol was low, yet, the hype from retailers, was still there)

What if it was higher vol, thoughts on how fast they would have dumped it/how fast you would have done that ?

Thanks.

2. What price point? I was able to grab 100,000 shares of SENS relatively easy, sold part at $2.90 taking some gains off the table. Commission was $0, not too bad?

Nobert likes this.
  3. I am not recommending it one bit, these bios are too deadly. I hope to get a chance to sell the rest above $3.

Nobert likes this.
  4. Nobert

Nobert

The oil guys had similar to yours.

As for me - just exploring these waters ,,in theory'', for the future.
    Something to think about, when looking at the horizon.

JesseJamesFinn1 likes this.
  5. If you want 10,000 hit the order with a 9900 on small stocks. There use to be some stupid rules where the MM could hold orders above 10,000 shares. The 9900 get routed as soon as you send them using a limit order" over course.

Nobert likes this.
  6. Depends how large your order is as a % of daily average volume. If it’s large, you’ll need to exit slowly over sometime (lots of risk), though there techniques to use (using derivatives and swaps).

Most PMs on the street will have a decision price and seek to offload risk to their trader, who needs to beat some price benchmark (like a VWAP). Volume will usually set the strategy & timeframe.

Apologetik, Nobert and Amatrue like this.
  7. I was able to sell the rest of SENS block very easy at $3.70, buying and selling at price points makes accumulation and selling easier using the size of 9900 orders. I had half carried over, good day!

Nobert likes this.