Building a Free Educational Website

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by expiated, Nov 24, 2020.

1. expiated

expiated

iPi Motion Capture Free Trial allows you to use feature of Basic Edition for 30 days after installation.
    • Supported configurations:
      • 1 or 2 depth sensors (Azure Kinect; Kinect 2; Kinect; Intel RealSense D415 / D435; Orbbec Astra / Astra Pro; ASUS Xtion / Xtion 2; PrimeSense Carmine 1.08)
      • 3 to 6 RGB cameras (Sony PS3 Eye / Logitech C922 / other)
    • High quality tracking of the most complex motions
      • Including rotations like dancing, fighting, sports etc.
    • Props tracking with the help of motion sensors (Sony Move, Nintendo Wii Remote)
    • Capture volume
      • For depth sensors: 7 by 7 feet (~ 2 by 2 m)
      • For Sony PS Eye: 20 by 20 feet (~ 7 by 7 m)
      • For HD cameras: 40 by 40 feet (~ 15 by 15 m)
    • Motion transfer
      • Automatic post-processing
      • Manual clean-up tools
    • Realtime tracking
      • Live preview for depth sensors
      • Live motion transfer to 3D character
      • Streaming to Unity
    After 30-days period expires, animation export will be disabled. Other features remain available.

#21     Jan 1, 2021
  2. expiated

expiated

http://forum.ipisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8900

An example of a list of items needed if putting together an Ipi system:
    1. Software obviously (which software?)
    2. Cameras - Either Playstation Eyes or Kinects. (Is one better than the other? Does one need to purchase the "Kinect for Windows" or will the regular xbox version work?
    3. Tripod(s)
    4. Motion controllers (Such as 3 Playstation move controllers?)
    5. USB cables - enough cables and extenders to hook everything up.
    What else?
    • Powerful graphics card (ideally, NVIDIA GTX series) for processing
    • In case of PS Eyes there are additional requirements to the storage for recording because of the heavy video traffic: either dedicated HDD (not system drive), or SSD, or RAM drive.
    • Tools for calibration: foam board (0.5x0.7m size or larger) for dual Kinects or flashlight with candle mode (like Maglite) for PS Eyes. Dual Kinect configuration also supports calibration with the light marker (flashlight), though it may be a bit trickier to get a good calibration result than using a foam board. Also, PS Move may be used instead of a flashlight (you can light it up with selected color in iPi Recorder, white is preferred for calibration), you just need to ensure it's on a large distance from the cameras (2m or more) during the calibration.
    • Something to mount the cameras to tripods, because they do not have built-in mounts. Specially designed mounts for Kinects or PS Eyes (there are some available online), sticky tape, reusable adhesive or whatever you find out useful.
    • Something to mount PS Moves to the head and hands. Again, it's up to your fantasy.
    Both Kinect for Windows and Kinect for XBOX are supported. However, only Kinect for Windows is officially licensed by Microsoft for use on PC. Besides, Kinect for Windows has a slightly better color image quality, and also allows to make adjustments to color picture (like contrast, brightness etc).

Note:Kinect for XBOX One is not and won't be supported, as it is intentionally made incompatible with PC. Microsoft will release Kinect 2 for Windows in the beginning of 2014, which will be supported by our software.

Be aware that for smooth operation of motion controllers you need a Bluetooth adapter compatible with EDR v2.1 and having Class 1 (100m range) or Class 2 (10m range). Ones that have prooved to work well are ASUS USB-BT211, TrendNet TBW-106UB.

#22     Jan 1, 2021
  3. expiated

expiated

If I’m going to use motion capture to make animated videos (as opposed to the tedious task of rendering animation in two dimensions) I’m going to need three-dimensional characters to which I can transfer corresponding points of the body (since I don’t want to draw them by hand). So, today I began the process of molding two-dimensional cartoons in 3-D...starting with the front of the head. (I'll work on the back of the head next.)

ScreenHunter_9279 Jan. 01 19.11.jpg

Though it seems to come to me somewhat naturally, I’m not much into sculpting. However, If I can spend many days getting my two-dimensional characters just right (which I have) I suppose I can take a few to transfer the tortured looking soul pictured above into something approximating its corresponding drawing (underneath).

I’m going to have to go back to Hobby Lobby though and purchase some wooden sculpting tools, because my fingers are too fat to get in those tiny spaces to smooth out the Plastalina (which I’m using because it doesn’t dry) not to mention adding intricate details. But sooner or later, I guess I’m going to have to purchase small packs of Sculpey, Fimo, and Kato for testing, since I’ve never used any of them and therefore don’t know which I’ll prefer using for the final product.

My plan is to use the same mold for all of the different heads and distinguish the various characters by changing complexions, eye color, hair length/color/style, clothing, etc.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    #23     Jan 1, 2021
  4. expiated

expiated

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    #24     Jan 1, 2021
  5. expiated

expiated

I needed to sketch a melody in order to inquire as to who composed it, given that I forget the name of the artist. But it seems I never transferred my Finale software to this laptop. So, I went online and found something called MuseScore that can be downloaded at no charge...
    ScreenHunter_9283 Jan. 01 21.56.jpg
    I've only just begun to explore it, but I can already tell that this will probably be satisfactory for most student uses.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    #25     Jan 2, 2021
  6. expiated

expiated

Strategic experimentation lays the groundwork for true innovation.

How did Vincent van Gogh go from an art school dropout, whom classmates recalled as an "unremarkable" painter, to the innovative artist who painted masterpieces like Sunflowers and Starry Night? It was through sustained, relentless experimentation.

Look back over van Gogh's full oeuvre (collection of works) and you'll see he didn't hit on his distinctive aesthetic immediately. Instead, he tirelessly tried different styles and techniques until he mastered his craft. Then, he experimented even more, finally arriving at a unique style.

Experimentation is ultralearning’s secret ingredient. The technique can take you from accomplished practitioner to true innovator. But experimentation can seem a little overwhelming at first. If you're wondering where to begin, one technique you can use is to copy, then create. Emulate someone else's work, then use this as a stepping-stone towards testing your own ideas.

Another thing you can do to jump-start your experimentation is to impose some constraints on it. This might seem counterintuitive, but limiting your creativity can actually help it blossom. That’s because working within strict limits can help you shake off your working habits and force you to try something new.

For example, if you're a budding artist or poet, you might try painting a picture using only shades of green or writing a verse without using the letter "e". You might be surprised by how your creativity flourishes when it's circumscribed.

Finally, lay the groundwork for the unexpected by hybridizing your materials, techniques, or skills to find your hidden superpower. Combining two seemingly disparate elements can lead to great results!

Before Scott Adams created the office comic strip Dilbert, he was an engineer with a passion for doodling. He wasn't the best engineer or artist, but when he found a way to hybridize his unique skill set, he ended up creating one of the world's best-known comic strips.

Experimentation pays off!

#26     Jan 2, 2021
  7. expiated

expiated

Periodic Table Mnemonics 11 through 20

ScreenHunter_9285 Jan. 02 06.09.jpg

#27     Jan 2, 2021
  8. expiated

expiated

Introduction to the Jewels Educational Services Science Program
    Copyright © 2021 Fred Duckworth

According to The National Academic Press, there are at least seven crosscutting concepts that are shared between the various science disciplines which can provide students with connections that enrich and deepen their understanding of scientific ideas and the application of scientific practices; thereby helping them conceptualize a coherent view of the world and develop the mental tools required to engage and understand newly experienced phenomena from a scientific perspective.

Given that Jewels Educational Services concurs with this viewpoint, we integrate these seven concepts into every facet of our science program. This means that a fundamental component of instruction is assurance that students establish and maintain cognizance of the seven crosscutting concepts along with an appreciation for their significance. And because we feel strongly that students cannot put ideas into regular use if they are not consciously aware of them—at least not in any kind of intentional or purposeful manner—our pedagogy demands that students verify mastery of these basic concepts before we move on to other topics within the science curriculum.

However, previous experience teaching in other settings suggests to us that this type of rigor is not typical. Accordingly, we preface each and every unit in this science collection with the very same review of the crosscutting concepts so that any instructor using our resources will have ready access to this information in the most convenient format we could conceive.

And finally, because we require our teachers to attain "expertise" in every subject they teach (and to therefore be able to deliver instruction without the necessity of having to refer to a teacher’s edition to guide their lessons) our lesson plans are written in such a manner as to check and reinforce not only the knowledge of the students, but that of our teachers as well. As a result, the text that appears in most lesson plans is likely to be written well above the developmental level of many—if not most—pupils around the nation.

Consequently, any educator using our lesson plans should anticipate the strong possibility of having to modify and adjust the corresponding vocabulary and lesson objectives as necessary to match the particular academic status and instructional needs of his or her unique group of learners.

#28     Jan 3, 2021
  9. expiated

expiated

The cost of using Doodly.com...

ScreenHunter_9294 Jan. 03 05.34.jpg

DoodleMaker.com Review & Walkthrough...

upload_2021-1-3_5-45-15.png
    DoodleMaker is still available for a low one-time (license) payment rather than month by month.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    #29     Jan 3, 2021
  10. expiated

expiated

1.0 Instructional Design

Given that the history of education is replete with new ideas that promised to maximize student achievement only to fall short of that goal, we feel it only makes sense to use techniques that have already proven their effectiveness. Consequently, we have rejected the temptation to adopt innovative new approaches based solely on the fact that they sound good—as if this factor alone constitutes reasonable justification for affirming that a given technique will actually improve student academic performance. Instead, our instructional methodology will combine mastery learning with criterion-referenced assessment.

1.1 Rationale

Combining mastery learning with criterion-referenced assessment allows for the wide range of differences that exist between individual learners while simultaneously providing for accountability. Underlying the approach is the conviction that, given the right conditions, virtually all students can and will master the required curriculum at grade-level (John B. Carroll 1963, and Benjamin Bloom 1968, 1976).

1.2 Elements

There are three basic components to our version of this instructional model: 1) Objectives will be stated in precise terms with the main focus placed on helping students reach a level of understanding that constitutes satisfactory performance; 2) there will be a reliance on normative information to establish levels of achievement; and 3) student performance will be routinely measured against national and international education standards by regularly assessing the degree to which each individual student has mastered the corresponding academic objectives.

1.3 Pluses and Minuses

One of the advantages of this approach is that it provides specific information about individual student strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, students who have problems reaching the desired criterion level on their first effort are given additional instruction along with other opportunities to show that they can perform at an acceptable level. This makes it more likely that each pupil will gain understanding than would an approach that permits only one try before reporting results. Consequently, it is anticipated that, as in most mastery situations, the proportion of our learners earning above average marks will be higher than in traditional classrooms (James H. Block 1971).

It has also been noted that in a traditional setting both teachers and students often anticipate that only a given percent of pupils will successfully learn what is being taught. This can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy that eventually destroys the confidence of many students who are legally required to attend school for 10 to 12 years under conditions that become increasingly frustrating and humiliating.

On the other hand, we will spend whatever amount of time is necessary for individual students to learn a given task, allowing more time and providing more systematic instruction for students who do not learn as quickly as their peers (John B. Carroll 1963).

Not surprisingly, research verifies that students taught under mastery conditions learn more than students taught under non-mastery conditions (Slavin, 1987; Block, Efthim & Burns, 1989).

However, this approach demands extra time and effort from the teacher, including careful planning, the preparation of several sets of evaluation materials, extensive monitoring of student progress, establishing defensible standards of mastery, administering and scoring several exams, and devising alternative assignments for students who pass assessments at an acceptable level on their first attempt.

Nevertheless, since students ultimately learn more, develop better attitudes toward school, gain confidence, and feel prouder of themselves, a mastery learning approach is well worth the extra time and effort it requires.

By combining mastery learning with criterion-based assessment we are confident that our students will succeed far beyond the levels typically observed in the U.S.A. as a whole.

In plain language, our instructors will teach by focusing students on objectives taken directly from national and international education standards while they simultaneously do the following:
    1. Make sure that each student clearly understands exactly what is to be learned.
    2. Provide motivation.
    3. Supply instructional materials that foster learning.
    4. Introduce new material at a rate appropriate for each individual pupil.
    5. Allot the amount of time necessary for students to learn each new skill.
    6. Closely monitor student progress.
    7. Continually diagnose difficulties and provide immediate remediation.
    8. Give praise and encouragement for good performance or effort.
    9. Provide ample review and practice.
    10. Maintain a high rate of learning over an extended period of time.

The above steps require that teachers spend extra time and effort in addition to the hours directly involved in instruction. This effort will include, but will not necessarily be limited to, the following:
    • Careful, extensive, and individualized planning.
    • Preparation of several sets of evaluation materials.
    • Daily review of student progress.
    • Drafting defensible standards of mastery.
    • Administering and scoring a significant number of exams.
    • Devising alternative assignments for students who pass initial tests.

But again, since students ultimately learn more, develop better attitudes toward school, gain confidence, and feel prouder than they would otherwise, a mastery approach is well worth the extra time and effort it requires.

ScreenHunter_9296 Jan. 03 12.21.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    #30     Jan 3, 2021