Build Your Own - Step by Step ( i7 2600k)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TIKITRADER, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The OCZ Agility 120gb SSD sata lll 6gps
    has been marked down to a sale price of $199.00 now.
    I had just purchased it on sale for $219.00, so I am going to bring it back and get the newer sale price.

( this still includes the $30.00 mail in rebate)

#11     Jul 5, 2011
  2. Good work Tiki!

I am using a similar CPU heat sink from Cooler Master. But not the same model. I like it. Easy to install. Does the job. Not too expensive.

#12     Jul 5, 2011
  3. This is an excellent cooler. Very quiet. I am using it on my amd phenom II. Its even better for i7 as it will screw in with the backplate making better contact on the cpu. At full load, I am at 39c. You can also use two fans for a push-pull effect. For its price, it is the best. But there are others in the higher price range which are better.

#13     Jul 5, 2011
  4. Great. Thanks for the feedback from Bolimomo and yourself on this cooler.
    I am not looking to spend a lot of money just something that is efficient for the price. User reviews have been very good also.

They have this cooler on sale now at Microcenter ( edit: this add looks like the push pull you mention. they added a fan for the purpose of the ad )

[​IMG]

#14     Jul 5, 2011
  5. What is the idea behind having a hot swap rack?

#15     Jul 6, 2011
  6. The only complaint I have on this is:

I couldn't tell which way the fan blows. Maybe someone can point up what I have overlooked.

I don't have a test lab set up. The power supply will not come on unless I hook up the 22-pin/24-pin connector to the motherboard and the main power is switched on. So I had to clamp the cooler to the CPU, assembled the motherboard on to the chassis, hooked up the power supply and the front-panel cords, etc... turned on the main power... only to see that the fan blew the wrong way. (I knew I had a 50-50 chance.). Oh well... had to take off everything to re-mount the cooler facing the opposite way.

A small arrow mark on the fan(s) would have been nice.

#16     Jul 6, 2011
  7. I use a drive to store screen images from the trading day also videos.
    I have been taking screen images of the trading day for years and keep it together on a drive.

Use another drive for mixed work such as creating Multicharts workspaces for testing and data and general work. Also a folder for family photos/ videos backup.

In the past I kept one hard drive with an OS and the trading setup only, and the other hard drive with another OS was for testing stuff out and general work to keep the trading hard drive dedicated.

This setup will have the ssd dedicated to the os, trading, and necessary programs and continue with all other work/data on swappable drives. I can also share swap drives with the other machine.

#17     Jul 6, 2011

8. Some fans do have an arrow for flow direction. It is drawing air from the blank side of the blades and pushing out the sticker side. Also fan blade direction arrow will be indicated and these arrows are next to the wiring.

See image

[​IMG]

• fan1.png
      File size:
      761.8 KB
      Views:
    #18     Jul 6, 2011
  9. This is the sticker side of the fan blades I am referring to

[​IMG]

#19     Jul 6, 2011
  10. Thanks for the tip on arrow marks. I might have missed them.

As for sharing disks... It seems that physically unplugging/plugging drives (if done on a daily basis) may be tiring.

Perhaps a network-based file sharing (perhaps with sync feature) program running on all computers?

#20     Jul 6, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.