BUG in IB TWS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by stock777, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hi stock777,

I tried it exactly as you wrote. I’m using Build 892.7 Feb 23 with Java 1.6.0_07 on a Vista 64-Bit machine (Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 with 4 GB RAM). No problems here so far.

Daniel

#11     Mar 18, 2009
  2. I see pretty much the same thing on 892.9

For me, it's as simple as clicking on a different tab. TWS "freezes" for exactly 10 seconds (according to the time in the lower right), then switches to the new tab.

One other observation: TWS 892.9 runs smooth on a dual core xeon system with lots of quotes and tabs, but shows this problem on a dual core Pentium system. TWS settings are otherwise identical.

With Java being fairly different in client and server, maybe that's one of the differences.

#12     Mar 18, 2009
  3. Unless you're running some really old clunker, TWS should run fine on any modern computer.

These issues have nothing to do with processing power, they are coding bugs, or Java bugs.

#13     Mar 18, 2009
  4. dhpar

dhpar

i had the same problem and in fact raised it here on ET: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156580

i ultimately realized what you need to do: i unclicked all features and selected only few i really needed - then all runs ok without freezing, mouse tricks etc...

still looks like a strange IB TWS (java threads?) conflict of some features when activated...

#14     Mar 18, 2009
  5. Update: IB reports that with my 100 hours of debugging effort ;-) they were able to reproduce and fix the problem in 893.

Hope I was able to save users some aggravation, since this was a nasty and difficult to nail down issue.

You mention the web version was ok, but in my case it also locked up.

With so many installed users I would have thought this would have been noticed and fixed in over a months time, but nooooooo.

#15     Mar 18, 2009
  6. Glad to hear it. Thank you for your effort. FWIW, the problem still exists in this mornings 893-Browser TWS, at least for me.

#16     Mar 19, 2009
  7. confirm the beta up there is not the fixed version. dating is a few days old.

look for a beta with a 3/18 or later date to verify fix

#17     Mar 19, 2009
  8. pspr

pspr

I've been using the 892 standalone and it locks up for a few seconds every couple of minutes. It has caused order entry/exit problems daily. I don't see an 893 for the standalone TWS yet.

Does anyone have the 890 standalone version to download? I understand that is the last stable version.

Thanks.
    Wally

#18     Mar 22, 2009