Buffett's Birkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Back to 2002

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

[​IMG]

#51     Aug 31, 2011
  2. Max E.

Max E.

Given the fact that i already said it was for 30k which was in my account i dont know where you are getting this 500k number from. There are lots of people who have alot less than 30k in their account who could justify emptying their bank account if the IRS sent a letter out saying they were going to drain their account in 2 weeks.

#52     Aug 31, 2011
  3. You didn't say you didnt read warnings from them,you said you didn't respond to them.

Are we really to believe that you got an IRS letter and you didn't read it ?

#53     Aug 31, 2011
  4. pspr

pspr

Of course not. When I was much younger the IRS decided I owed them a few hundred dollars and there was no notice, no letter, no phone call. They just took what money was in my bank account leaving my grocery and other such checks to bounce. AK is full of crap.

The only way to get even with the IRS is to move business transactions off the books and wait for the statute of limitations to run out.

#54     Aug 31, 2011
  5. This is directly from the IRS

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108341,00.html

We sent you a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to A Hearing (levy notice) at least 30 days before the levy. We may give you this notice in person, leave it at your home or your usual place of business, or send it to your last known address by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested.

#55     Aug 31, 2011

6. Directly From the IRS website*****Directly From the IRS website******Directly From the IRS website

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108341,00.html

Levy

A levy is a legal seizure of your property to satisfy a tax debt. Levies are different from liens. A lien is a claim used as security for the tax debt, while a levy actually takes the property to satisfy the tax debt.

If you do not pay your taxes (or make arrangements to settle your debt), the IRS may seize and sell any type of real or personal property that you own or have an interest in. For instance,

We could seize and sell property that you hold (such as your car, boat, or house), or

We could levy property that is yours but is held by someone else (such as your wages, retirement accounts, dividends, bank accounts, licenses, rental income, accounts receivables, the cash loan value of your life insurance, or commissions).

We usually levy only after these three requirements are met:

We assessed the tax and sent you a Notice and Demand for Payment;

You neglected or refused to pay the tax; and

We sent you a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to A Hearing (levy notice) at least 30 days before the levy. We may give you this notice in person, leave it at your home or your usual place of business, or send it to your last known address by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested. Please note: if we levy your state tax refund, you may receive a Notice of Levy on Your State Tax Refund, Notice of Your Right to Hearing after the levy.

#56     Aug 31, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Anyone who is reading this would probably readily concede the fact that if i "didnt respond to the letters they sent me" that doesnt mean that i didnt read the letters. Only an idiot would try to make an argument like that.

How would i have known they desired a response if i didnt read the letter? Any rational person who read what i said would have thought that i read the letter and didnt respond, now you are trying to turn this into some convuluted word game, typical trolling tactics.

#57     Aug 31, 2011
  8. jem

jem

who says you can't drain your account if the IRS plans to levy? This is america, we still have a constitution.

I would like to see the legal reasoning by a court in that case? I think the logic would be pretty tortured.

#58     Aug 31, 2011
  9. According to Mavirick and menstrual pad the IRS wont come after you for such a small amount :( :(

#59     Aug 31, 2011

10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_levies

Procedural requirements

According to the U.S. Supreme Court, the power of administrative levy for federal taxes dates back to the year 1791.[3] The Fifth Amendment of the Constitution forbids the government (whether state or federal) from taking an individual’s property without due process of law. This rule applies to an IRS levy. To comply with the U.S. Constitution, the IRS must provide the taxpayer notice of the coming levy and an opportunity to be heard.[4] Under §6330(a)(2), the IRS must send to the taxpayer a notice by either personal hand delivery, or through certified mail, or left at the taxpayer's usual place of business. The notice must arrive at least thirty days prior to the levy taking place.

#60     Aug 31, 2011