Buffett vs message board amateurs - the 5 year challenge

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cutten, Oct 17, 2008.

1. sammybea

sammybea

Hey Cutten, I think this was a very interesting experiment that you put out there. No spin, no excuses.. just a straight up challenge that we can keep tabs on for the next 5 years.

I think if if im not mistaken, BRK.A is down 33% since your challenge, while the "dissenters," as you call them, are up roughly 20%. Its interesting that Buffet has actually done far worse than the S&P. While this doesn't prove anything, he would actually have to gain 50% over the next 4.5 years just to break even.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Buffet's buy and hold strategy? Cutten, do you still believe in the 5 year challenge? Interested to hear everyones thoughts.

#31     Feb 28, 2009
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Are both parties supposed to hold it through the 5 years without cashing out?

What if we bottom at 600 and at the end of 5 years we are back at 950?? Who won then? Can the shorts move to cash at least?

#32     Feb 28, 2009
  3. hughb

hughb

Buffett has resources that most people do not have. He can buy preferred stock directly from a company's treasury and demand the terms he wants.

I'd be willing to bet that if you check the posting history of most Buffett bashers you will see that most of them are also Cramer bashers. CNBC bashers. Jack bashers. Professional sports team bashers. Athlete bashers. ET bashers. If an anonymous internet chatter can not earn respect on his own merits, he thinks he can earn it by attempting to diminish the status of others. However, that doesn't mean they are not permitted to bash or criticize. If you look at the top of this web page you will notice it is called a forum. A forum is here for discussion, and critics may discuss right along with everyone else.

EDIT to add - Kind of funny, right after I posted this I opened up my Wall Street Journal and there is a story about Buffett's letter to his shareholders that explains one of Berkshire's worst year's in it's history.

#33     Feb 28, 2009
  4. Buffett's investing acumen is to be respected, but he is still open to criticism. He has been very fortunate to be an American investing in America for the past half century. The U.S. hasn't truly experienced a very severe downturn in that time. Yes there were the 70s and yes the 2000 dot bust but he hasn't experienced the kind of downturn his mentor Benjamin Graham experienced in the Great Depression where even deep value stocks were hammered. Value investing in the Buffett style is more aggressive combining as it does Fisher's growth characteristics and consequently seems to have de facto buy on the dip tendencies. It's a great style for markets that experience growth with shallow recessions but is more exposed in markets that can fall off a cliff.

#34     Feb 28, 2009
  5. Cutten

Cutten

If any Buffett critics cover their shorts and say now it makes sense to own stocks, they can "close" their side of the bet there, sure. I mean if the S&P hits 1 then I suspect even the most ardent bear would want to be long stocks, and definitely not short. However I will not judge Buffett's call until at least 5 years have passed, as that is IMO the earliest time horizon to judge a true buy & hold investment.

I would then measure the performance of their trading calls versus Buffett's buy & hold from S&P 920ish.

I measure Buffett's call by the S&P, NOT Berkshire stock. Berkshire is one stock and Buffett did not say "buy my stock", he said that stocks in general were a good buy.

S&P is currently 767, so the Buffett dissenters are either flat, or up by 17% if they went short; and Buffett's "buy & hold stocks" portfolio is down 17%.

I would also point out that I shorted the S&P since I made that post back in the Autumn, so I joined the bear side for now.

To keep the proper time perspective, it's probably best to update this once per quarter at most, and really once per year is probably best.

#35     Mar 20, 2009