Buffett vs message board amateurs - the 5 year challenge

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cutten, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Hearing "buy and hold is dead" over and over again these days. Last time I heard that was in the summer days of 2002.

#11     Oct 17, 2008
  2. when buffett bought right after 911 Dow went +15% in 3 months, +20% in 5 months.

#12     Oct 17, 2008
  3. hughb

hughb

It doesn't really matter what a person's time frame is when comparing him to someone else. At the end of the year Buffett will have placed maybe 5 trades, and the typical internet chatter/daytrader will have placed 5,000 trades, (real or imagined). Buffett will still be ahead of the internet chatter/trader at the end of the year.

I do wonder why GE has not moved up more though. My octagenarian neighbor has said he is going to start buying GE common stock for no other reason than Buffett's huge purchase of GE preferred. I would imagine that a lot of people have that idea as well, but if they do they haven't started buying it yet. GE isn't moving much at all.

#13     Oct 17, 2008
  4. Here is a video of one of the elitetraders I have obtained who had openly criticized buffett.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UroVRCSsAuE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UroVRCSsAuE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#14     Oct 17, 2008
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Interesting. If history is any guide, that makes it a great time to start buying & holding in investment accounts for those who haven't done so already.

#15     Oct 17, 2008
  6. bsivia

bsivia

He has always refrained from talking about the stocks he is buying because too many times he observed that they escaped his price range. I wonder why he is talking now?

Did he write an article in 1974? 1990? Why?

Does he think this thing is going to spiral downward until hell freezes over? IMO he is a very ethical man, he would not do something like that for his selfish interests maybe the US's?

#16     Oct 17, 2008
  7. bl33p

bl33p

He got his buys, wouldn't it be nice to be able to talk them into an immediate uptrend. Perhaps he needed to buy early, before anyone else managed to get foot in where he wanted to. So, he got greedy.

#17     Oct 17, 2008
  8. Buffet is a reptilian iluminati warlord ready to destroy the little guys wealth by luring them long into the markets.

Beware.

#18     Oct 17, 2008
  9. yayt

yayt

Cutten,
    Good idea; I assume you will also let the dissenters "cash out", as it were?

#19     Oct 17, 2008
  10. Yeah, me too. Turns out, they were right.

#20     Oct 17, 2008