Buffett to give fortune away

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by volatilitypimp, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Most in Africa could only dream of such a choice.

#41     Jun 30, 2006
  2. alisa

alisa

I know there are lots of exceptions but if the typical poor american stopped smoking and eating at McDonalds it would be a great start on that Health care problem (let the flaming begin.....) You can't really compare the poor in the US to the poor in Africa, come on. We're talking about a woman who has a 10% chance of dying in child birth, a child who has no immunizations and no access to clean water.

#42     Jul 1, 2006
  3. jerryz

jerryz

lol! not having to pay any capital gains tax on microsoft stock had nothing to do with setting up the foundation. okiedokie.

#43     Jul 1, 2006
  4. jerryz

jerryz

have you considered that the type of personality that drove you to trading is the exact type of personality that will make you unsuccessful?

e.g., once you have an opinion, you will not change your mind even in light of new information. you immediately attack any new information that suggests your thinking may have been wrong. you do not even consider the new information, you just dismiss it immediately or only focus on the tiny part of it that you can use to support your view.

#44     Jul 1, 2006
  5. No, there isn't. Not by any meaningful standard of comparison.

Have you ever even <i>been</i> to the third world?

I, for one, am happy to see Gates using his money where it can do the most good for the people who need it most.

Martin

#45     Jul 1, 2006
  6. This is garbage. Have you ever been to India? First of all, a lot of people in India want to come to America. Second, they respect American innovation and productivity in a country where corruption and bureaucracy rule everything. Third, the average Indian values above all the freedom in America, where your last name doesn't determine how your life will look and who you will marry.

East Indians don't hate Americans in any greater numbers, proportionately speaking, than any other racial/ethnic group.

I guess those who say that all of this giving is a tax ploy are saying that these people, who are rich beyond comprehension, would rather have their wealth grow inside a trust where they can't actually use the money than see it grow outside of such a trust.

#46     Jul 1, 2006
  7. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Charity trust/foundation is a good way to shelter tax. If everyone does it, our government will have revenue crisis. Buffet said he has not paid tax for a long time from the interview in TV (needs to be verified, I might hear wrong). Even in this donotion, he mentions now government will get billions less from his estate tax.

The man is a tax expert! I think we need to learn his tax system instead of his investment system; unless we are having the flat tax to stop the loopholes.

#47     Jul 2, 2006
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

We're already shipping our jobs to India, so why not send them our inheritence also.

I guess from the posts on this thread, if your parents decide to ship all there net worth out to India or to the Gates Foundation instead of giving it to you, there would not be any bad feelings?

#48     Jul 2, 2006
  9. I have, and yes- U.S. poverty can't even COMPARE with the grim desperation of third world poverty.

U.S. poverty can be more easily compared to third world <b>luxury</b>.

#49     Jul 3, 2006
  10. bsmeter

bsmeter

Most posters on here are loser wannabe day- traders, I can tell that much by the lack of quality in their posts. Losers are cynical negative types and it will show in their thought process when they make a post.

#50     Jul 3, 2006