Buffett to give fortune away

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by volatilitypimp, Jun 25, 2006.

1. paradox

paradox

#31     Jun 27, 2006
  2. I think a good bit of the money is going to three different charities run by Buffet's children. So essentially they are inheriting tax free...

#32     Jun 27, 2006
  3. Exactly! I know that most of the large, famous foundations actually grow in size, i.e. they are primarily investment vehicles. In addition, as you mentioned, they also can distribute "salaries" and essentially take care of friends and family for a lifetime.

The danger is that the boards can be taken over after one's death by people unfriendly to your original desires. This has happened in a few cases. So in Gates' case he could find that his ever-growing 32 billion being used by others indefinitely to promote cause/ideas that he does not believe in...

#33     Jun 29, 2006
  4. Finally someone who states the truth.:D

#34     Jun 29, 2006
  5. #35     Jun 29, 2006
  6. I may not have worded things quite right. I agree that they don't profit from the entire amount in the foundation. But the fund will grow almost for sure and therefore is "economically advantageous" by definition. And it probably will benefit Gates' family and friends directly.

It's a great way to keep the vultures out of your money rather than watching friends and relatives self-destruct with that kind of wealth. They get a nice salary but not instant control of a billion dollars which they could not handle.

And even more important: they can also perpetuate a specific moral and social agenda...

#36     Jun 30, 2006
  7. MRWSM

MRWSM

Question: Once that money is in the Bill Gates Fund, can they change their mind in the future and decide to take it back and not donate it?

Personally if I had that kind of money I would start helping people that need help directly and would start in the country that I made the money in. There's plenty of people in need in the USA. I would go around and pay off people's mortgage. This would help the economy and would get a lot more appreciation from people. Giving money to help India with their health problems will not be appreciated by anyone. In fact they will still hate Americans regardless of any help.

#37     Jun 30, 2006
  8. Are you sure you meant the people from India? The people of India don't hate America - quite the opposite if you ask me...

#38     Jun 30, 2006
  9. A large portion of annual grants are made to education programs in the United States, but most is still allocated to global health issues. The fund operates on the belief that all lives are equal. American lives are not worth more than African lives.

#39     Jun 30, 2006
  10. MRWSM

MRWSM

Well, I would say it seems as a whole, everyone hates us. But regardless, there's a lot of suffering right here in the US. A huge amount have to decide between health care or paying their mortgage. They sucked their money from here, why not put some back rather than sending it abroad.

#40     Jun 30, 2006