Buffett and Gates say no correlation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cgroupman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

#21     Jan 27, 2012
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Oh? How many famous/important/influential people in history have made sacrifices to stand up to the principles they believe in? When they have, it has made impact. People look at them and respect their views, even if they don't agree with them because they act on principle and stick to it.

#22     Jan 27, 2012
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Nevertheless, misery prefers company.

#23     Jan 27, 2012
  4. Brass

Brass

That's absurd. One big guy paying more isn't going to make a stick of difference. All the big guys paying more will. These guys didn't get rich by being stupid.

http://www.answers.com/topic/pragmatism

#24     Jan 27, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Please. Peeing in the pool? That's your analogy?

I'll say it again. If one believes in a something in principle, one should have the conviction to act on that belief if one expects others to take him/her seriously.

Absent that, they're just another meaningless opinion in the crowd.

#25     Jan 27, 2012
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So you're saying the preacher should only not drink and commit adultery until his flock shows that they cease doing it as well?

(I'm sorry I cannot respond as fast as we normally debate, but you and Gabby are machine gunning me on responses).

#26     Jan 27, 2012
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Ok, I'll say it yet another way. It's not about making an impact numerically. It's about garnering respect, even if someone disagrees with you. It's also about showing the strength of your conviction.

#27     Jan 27, 2012
  8. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, keep firing, Brass, we've got Tsing pinned down!

I think morality is a different set of rules. Not completely different, there's certainly overlap. For example, Gates just announced a $750 million donation to fight disease.

I have no doubt that if tax increases on the wealthy were brought into force, that both Buffett and Gates would pay, not happily, but not begrudgingly either.

#28     Jan 27, 2012
  9. Brass

Brass

Respect? Only a fool respects someone who pisses in the wind to no effect. Why don't you go live with John Galt on his island where you can weave baskets and barter? Imagine the respect I'll have for you.

#29     Jan 27, 2012
  10. Actually, the devaluing of the dollar has much to do with the market rise. I do agree. My point is simply that new business ventures should not be derailed by negativity overall.

c

#30     Jan 27, 2012