Buffett and Gates are becoming frightened of Bitcoin. Tell people to stay away.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, May 10, 2018.

1. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

No... Those who know something, do it. Those who don't, teach it. One can see what other people did, read books and son on, but it doesn't matter who said something or not. What matters is one's own analysis of the situation/idea and if it makes sense, assimilate it.

But saying "this famous guy said this and because he is rich/famous/whatever, I'll do as he says..." This is simply idiotic behavior. A lot of people say cryptocurrencies are a bad thing and nobody gives a fuck about most of these opinions, but when WB and/or BG says it, people are supposed to accept it as true? That's just stupid.

Make your own analysis and draw your own conclusions. Period.

Knowledge is power and nobody gives away power for free. If you accept this so called "free knowledge" written on an internet article, the quality of the information you get is proportional to the price you paid for it: ZERO.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    #21     May 11, 2018
  2. sss12

sss12

You need a new bank/broker....wire transfers are immediate.
    BTC is a fail as a currency, it is nothing other than a speculative asset. Blockchain tec is a whole other story.

#22     May 11, 2018
  3. Actually theyre not... try initiating a wire at midnight. Also the recieving bank could take their sweet ass time processing it which is out of your bank's control. I pay 20 bucks a wire transfer which is cheap compared to other banks. Not to mention their bank charges probably another 10. Bitcoin can be a few bucks total for both recieving and sending and I can initiate it at 3am and have the recover get it by 4am or in the case of Litecoin 15 mins later. Great for paying out ransom kidnapping money.

#23     May 11, 2018
  4. DaveV

DaveV

Or you could use PayPal, where the transfers are instantaneous, and, for person to person transfers, free.

#24     May 11, 2018
  5. bone

bone

It's easy to criticize the more senior ambassadors of financial markets as being too old to appreciate the technology aspect of cryptocurrenies. And that is a fair point.

By the same token, we've seen some serious fungibility limitations and security issues with crypto that should not be dismissed out of hand or taken lightly. And until those problems are resolved or to a significant extent minimized it's possible that crypto has a bounded upside in terms of acceptance and participation.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

#25     May 11, 2018
  6. Ok PayPal is such an inferior product that it just shows you don't know what youre talking about. PayPal is controlled by 1 company, funds are reversible (chargebacks), there's probably all sorts of limits and restrictions, and it's not as cheap some transactions cost like 2% for recieving money in the case of a business. Imagine losing 2% for just recieving money. Bitcoin is free. Also you still have to transfer to PayPal first which again could take a day or more depending on method of transfer used.

Anyway the point you guys are missing is that it's not just Bitcoin but cryptocurrency as a whole that has the potential to turn tear a new one for the established banks/infrastructure.

As far as I'm concerned the cats out of the bag. I predict that in 10 years or less crypto is going to be an established method of payment worldwide much in the same way visa is accepted virtually worldwide. It probably won't be Bitcoin though.

#26     May 11, 2018
    NeoTrader likes this.
  7. So, the Fed and its 2% inflation target is a good thing huh? My first new car I bought (1971 Ford) cost me $2,000, now what will 2K buy me. So, give me BTC any day for a long term parking of funds. If, when, we get a world wide systemic economic collapse, then the "absurdity of BTC" won't be so absurd.

#27     May 12, 2018
    NeoTrader likes this.
  8. bone

bone

If I might be allowed to kick it old school - IMO your scenario of world wide systemic economic collapse makes a better case for precious metals based upon a premium for liquidity, fungibilty, and more universal acceptance. Just an opinion.

#28     May 12, 2018
  9. Agreed, PM would soar as well but BTC has advantages of storability, transferablity, divisibility, and a known total supply. And it also is recognized and accepted in all countries. (except in the nation of ET :D)

Also, I do keep wondering why Buffet feels the need to bad mouth BTC and ole Charlie side kick is even worse. Why doesn't he just keep doing his thing, buying Pepsi because it tastes good and he can understand it. He doesn't bad mouth tech stocks, he just says he does not buy them because he can't understand them.

But yet the guy who does not know a blockchain from a chain link fence is telling everyone that BTC will cause instant death if one dares to touch it.

#29     May 12, 2018
  10. bone

bone

Even the traders on the DRW desk just might think that’s an embellishment :D

#30     May 12, 2018