"Budget" build gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I missed it. Again...:(

And after calling Dell, no, they won't debit my cc/debit card when one comes available. It's almost like I've gotta run around with an ipad or laptop constantly refreshing the t3500 area during the day to get one if I'm out of the office.

#71     Jun 30, 2011
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Yes, and I'm not paying $500+ for the cards to run 8. What's the solution? You and Scat know more about this than I do. The last time (for my office), I wrote down what you guys recommended, called newegg to order the parts, called around for monitor stands, etc., and had a "guru" (expensive one) build it. By the time it was said and done, I had close to $4,900 in the setup. I'm not complaining as it's fast and gets the job done.

I was originally going to do a "budget" build (3 monitors) for my home, but don't want to deviate too far from what I'm used to. I can get away with six, no problem, but I can get quad monitor stands at a price that basically allows me to run 8 for the price of 6.

What a quandry.
    :( :confused: :D

#72     Jun 30, 2011
  3. Really? Does that $4900 include 8 monitors and the monitor stand?

I remember buying parts came up to around $1200 - $1300 or so. With Windows OS add another $200.

You know that if you buy the parts from Fry's (and I checked... they have stores in New York), you can have them assemble the parts to build a computer and test it and load the OS for you, for about $100. Right?

#73     Jul 1, 2011
  4. $4900 for a trading rig? Sorry, man, you HOSED yourself. We keep saying that a trading computer (not including monitors or stands) should be $1100-$1200.. TOPS. And you can do just fine for a lot less. I've highlighted the board sometimes when there were good deals on trading rigs at Dell Outlet... some for a cheap as $569.

#74     Jul 1, 2011
  5. You're not checking often enough. That one was available for > 48 hrs.

#75     Jul 1, 2011
  6. LEAPup are you signed up to receive coupons from Dell outlet ? I received a coupon for 15% off on laptop or desktop from the outlet. That brought the price on the rig y'all are talking about down to $1036. I bought one yesterday morning at that price.

#76     Jul 1, 2011
  7. Lots of people know about the sometimes great deals on Dell Outlet and are looking for them.

On no less than 4 separate occasions I've clicked to "add to cart" and received the message, "sorry no longer available"... that is, somebody beat me to the punch by seconds.

"Good" deals will sometimes stay around for a couple of days. "Great" deals.. perhaps only hours or minutes.

#77     Jul 1, 2011
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Yes, that was turn key.

#78     Jul 1, 2011
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'm going to check in more often. I'm sure I'll find one. And yes, I was past "add to cart" when I received the same message on the one I wanted.

#79     Jul 1, 2011
  10. there used to be "tricks" to get better price when buying from dell outlet

#80     Jul 1, 2011