"Budget" build gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

just came home. I was traveling today within the state, and didn't get a chance to check the site. Kills me!:(

#51     Jun 22, 2011
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'll have my eyes open this week for one of the Dells. Btw, are these reburbished? They're selling a $1,080 CPU in a turn key (almost turn key. I'll be buying the cards), for less than $1,200. Pretty shocking vs. the other stuff out there.

I don't mind a refurbished Dell, but hopefully they'll offer a warranty, or even a 3yr warranty I may purchase.

After having some occasional issues with the office setup I ordered the pieces for (literally pieces), and had a really good computer guy build it for me + set it up, I've started reading the fine print of a warranty, and may buy one. The computer guru I know is NOT cheap.:eek:

#52     Jun 26, 2011
  3. Computers from Dell Outlet may be "refurbished"... may be sold through Outlet for about a half dozen other reasons. All Outlet computers come with same warranty as new.. 3-years.

What? You bought parts to have a "not cheap" guru build it for you? Have you learned nothing about hardware on ET, Grasshopper?

#53     Jun 26, 2011
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

You're right. I got what I paid for. He may have been more $$ than the "average" computer guru, but he did a tremendous job. With money on the line, and this being my job, cutting corners won't work.

#54     Jun 26, 2011
  5. Banjo

Banjo

They are legally required to be labeled "refurbished" if some one returns one for whatever reason. They are simply not new as in a never opened box. Dell checks them out before placing them back on the market.

#55     Jun 26, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Speaking of warranties, check out what this guy has to say: http://eztradingcomputers.com/tech-support-warranty/

He's not a fan of Dell or HP from his earlier video clips. Why? He sells computers. Lol!

Just wanted to know what you think of what he points out about warranties, and if he's FOS or not.

#56     Jun 27, 2011
  7. Only partially correct.

Some of them ARE NEW.. as in "never opened box". Some business might order 25 computers, but when it's time to take delivery, they only take 15. The other 10 go onto outlet.

(I once talked to support at Dell about the outlet. They said there are about a half dozen reasons a computer might end up on outlet.)

If you get "full warranty and service", what difference does it make if it comes through the outlet site rather than retail? Other than the $400-ish or more savings, that is.

I bought my first Dell from the retail site. All others have been from outlet... going back 10 years, now.

#57     Jun 27, 2011
  8. "Cutting corners won't work"?

Do you know the odds of your having a computer failure are GREATER in a custom built rig than a workstation from a place like Dell, HP, or Lenovo who sell hundreds of thousands of the same unit?

#58     Jun 27, 2011
  9. Banjo

Banjo

Agree with you, if they have what you're looking for you can't beat the deals. It's not even worth the effort to try.

#59     Jun 27, 2011
  10. Sometimes they have deals that are so good you end up with more than you were looking for.

In the last week, Outlet had 5, T3500s with Xeon W3690 CPU (current #1 performance CPU.. Passmark) for $1169-$1219. Those were excellent deals considering Newegg sells the W3690 CPU alone for $1085. On one day, Outlet had 3 of them. From the time I noticed, they were gone in 11 minutes.)

#60     Jun 27, 2011