"Budget" build gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Jun 16, 2011.

1. The build shops supposedly test the computers before they ship.. and all of the components are effectively "off the shelf"... so any such computer from any build shop should be more alike than different from another.

If I were in the market for a trading computer today, I'd limit my choices to (1) a "deal" on an appropriate Dell T3500 from their outlet site, and (2) a "built to my configuration" from some place like ibuypower.com.

$1,100-ish would be the top price I'd pay... except perhaps if I got a STEAL on a Dell they'd miss-priced... which they sometimes do. (There have been times when Dell sold a unit for less than you could buy the CPU from Newegg... I once bought one for $800 when the CPU was >$1,000. My neighbor, with my help of course, got a T3500 with an X5650 CPU for $1,200. The parts were >$1,600.)

#21     Jun 19, 2011
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

Reading HARDWARE threads about computers, power supply, x16 cards, cards alone, etc etc etc etc is 99% entertainment.

Trading monitors do not need all pcie x slots, x1 slots or whatever are all thats needed.

Power supply bigger and bigger are just marketing tools, is your trading so bad that you are thinking of using the box as ole "SPARKY"? Right, that was the death chair that Florida used to fry bad boys such as Ted Bundy.

I am a victim of building boxes with overkill built in but thats an old habit, i always went for Hot chicks also,,, HA

Soon, finally going to order a laptop........DELL? Hell NO, HP, Hell NO, LENOVO T520, HELL YES>>>>>>>

Buy quality parts, that is all you need to keep in mind. Build a good box, be wise thats all, do your best and in the long run DO NOT blame slips in trading on your box..........always remember, the slowest input to the computer is from you thinking to you hitting the mouse. :eek:

PS: get a voltmeter, watts or whatever to calculate the power needed, you might be surprised how little actually needed. Horsepower was always a selling point for cars also, the beat goes on.. New version from a Michigan gal.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6duOuvmoU&feature=related

#22     Jun 19, 2011
  3. jprad

jprad

There is a very limited number of choices in the x1 video card space. None of the ones I'm familiar with can drive two monitors and they're typically more expensive than a PCIx card with equivalent GPU.

#23     Jun 19, 2011
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

Stick to the universal card for Financial industry Quadro NVS

Thats all you need to know about vid cards for trading.. That was my point, LESS IS MORE.

PNY built those cards for us, why fight their engineers? I personally have a couple 295 on different boxs and a 300 also. They have been sweet to me for years now. Drivers are a snap, universal for all NVS cards. ---DONE---

http://www.nvidia.com/object/desktop-nvs.html

CORRECTION: I should have said: all momitors do NOT need x16 slots to perform as needed for trading. Trading is 2D, we do not need HOT, high voltage 3D cards. All the cards i use are passive cooling. Chevk the stats in that NVIDIA post. You see no fans..... and you see SMALL power usage = LESS HEAT, NO noise. (yes the 420 has a fan, but i never use 4 screen cards, they are not worth the money and if one goes out you are down 4 screens. )

#24     Jun 19, 2011
  5. jprad

jprad

If you're happy with the NVS series, fine. But, there are higher performing, fanless cards out there that cost much less.

Here's one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121448

IMHO, I don't see the point in spending nearly twice as much for a card that delivers half the performance.

But, that's just me...

#25     Jun 19, 2011
  6. #26     Jun 19, 2011
  7. jprad

jprad

The MSI board has as many restrictions as slots, it's really a non-starter for video.

The best one I've found was the Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T7_WS_SuperComputer/

But, it also can only do 3x16 or 4x8.

It's the perfect solution for a CUDA workstation though -- A Quadro 6000 for video and 3 C2070 Tesla cards, damn... ;-)

#27     Jun 19, 2011
  8. bighog

bighog Guest

But you are missing the finer points of what i described about cards that were designed for the financial Industry. Do you recall that i said buy QUALITY parts? Price is mox-nix, i want reliability, stability. The "DRIVERS" are engineeded for the card to perform in the proper setting.

You also missed the whole freaking mention of LESS IS MORE. Who the fuck needs a stupid card like you posted to make a shitload of cash? Performance my ass........ LESS IS MORE

I will not reply again on what fucking card is best for some clown wanting to buy on the cheap.. :p STRAWBERRYCupcakes 31 OUT

#28     Jun 19, 2011
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thanks for the post! I wish I had an ounce of computer knowledge you guys have. When I was in High School there were NO computers there besides the ONE (dos) in the library. They just weren't cool back then. The www changed all of that though. I went to College a little later than the average guy, and took ZERO computer classes as it wasn't required + I was scared of them then. Hind sight is 20/20...

#29     Jun 20, 2011
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Are you recommending three of these to drive six 24" monitors? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...40466-rg2304-00-20?s=merchant&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#30     Jun 20, 2011