"Budget" build gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jprad

jprad

The TDP of a GTX 580 is about 245w, more if it's overclocked.

With a 1KW P/S you've only got about 250w left for the CPU, motherboard, HD, etc.

You really need a 1250-1350w P/S at a minimum for 3 of them and a 1500w is probably a better bet.

#11     Jun 18, 2011
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

I agree completely! You and bolimomo have been EXTREMELY helpful when I was putting together my office setup. It was a job ordering all of the parts, and having a local computer builder/repair/genius lol build it. He's good, but when it comes to parts, he doesn't know what traders (serious traders) are looking for. The first cpu I received was defective, and there were other back and forth issues I don't want to get into this time with a from the ground up build. I'd love to be able to do it myself, but time isn't on my side.

What do you recommend in a built, tested before being shipped, system in your opinion? And thanks!:)

#12     Jun 18, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Much appreciated! I'll check out the 1500 watt. I'm not a rich guy at all. Lol and hate spending 4x what "average" computer buyers come out of best buy with, but what I'm doing with a computer I take very serious, and am willing to spend a little more now than have problems later.

What do you recommend for power backup?

Thanks again!

#13     Jun 18, 2011
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Not really. It just helps me psychologically by knowing that what I'm using is of high quality, very powerful, and a "wall" of information vs. the constant clicking.

#14     Jun 18, 2011
  5. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thanks bro! And after reading through ms professional, I like that idea! I think it's worth the extra $!

#15     Jun 18, 2011
  6. Exactly. You're bottlenecked at 2 monitors if you do ANY real trading. 1Reason had it right. In order to trade profitably you need 6 monitors. It sounds funny, but he really has a point. 2-3 monitors won't do if you're looking through multiple TFs

#16     Jun 19, 2011
  7. trading environment suppose to be as quiet and relaxing as possible given it's rather stressful at times.

Good luck having that vacuum of a computer next to you 8 hours a day blasting while you are trying to trade.

#17     Jun 19, 2011
  8. I think maybe you can save that phone call.

From what I have seen... HP make or others... most ready-made boxes these days only offer 1 PCIe X16 expansion slots. You are lucky if you find two. As if they have everything you need in their design.

That's what prompted me to build my own box with a motherboard which has 3 PCIe X16 slots (and I regret not choosing one that has more).

If you must buy one ready-made box to support 6 monitors, you might need to use a hex-head card or look to those outfits which specialized in making trading computers.

As for the monitors and stand... didn't you plan to buy the hex-monitor stand? Each arm - the joint for the VESA mount - probably has individual tilt/roll adjustment. If so, the tilt/roll adjustment on the monitor itself would be immaterial. IMO no need to buy a monitor because of a tilt feature.

Because you buy in a bulk of 6, price saving on each can become significant. The latest bulk of monitors I bought was:

Viewsonic VX2431wm (24 inch LCD monitor)

when I found that on sales at Fry's at about $160 each (or something like that). They work okay.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1308472258&sr=1-1

#18     Jun 19, 2011
  9. jprad

jprad

If you really hate spending more than you have to and you're really serious about what you're using a computer for then would you mind giving us a bit more detail on what you're going to do with it that requires an i7-2600K and 3 GTX 580's?

#19     Jun 19, 2011
  10. jprad

jprad

Would be interested to know which one(s) you've found that can do 4x16 as I've only found a few LGA 1366 boards than can do 3x16.

#20     Jun 19, 2011