"Budget" build gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Bolimomo, scap, help! Lol!

I'm about to order the following:

Computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227328

Monitors: Six of them) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176141

Stand: (Something like this for 6) http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=213682

I was originally going to stick with my Dell T3500, but it's not as fast as what I have at the office. The problem is somedays (if there aren't any appointments), I'd like to trade from home. The problem is I'm used to multi monitors (and speed!) I know some guys here can trade from a laptop, but I just can't. Plus, I do believe that if you are running a slow system, you may be complaining about slippage a little more than someone using a fast one. On the few times I've stayed at home and traded for my own account, I've noticed slippage that's not as prominent with my "speedy" computer at the office. I'm on a T1 there also. At home I'm on a cable modem which I ordered at the highest speed, but wonder about that one at times...

I thought about it, and I carry my laptop with me when I'm NOT trading, so why have one at home to trade with?:confused:

Since I blew the budget build on the laptop trading idea:eek: Opinions are appreciated here. I'm at least wanting to stay in the $3,000-$3,200 area turn key for something like the above. Let me know what you think.

And yes, my Wife will complain about this, so I'm preparing for it now.:eek: :( :D

2. Six monitors??? I thought you have been talking about 2 external monitors on a laptop. All of a sudden, it's 6 monitors? What are you gonna do with so many monitors??? LOL :D

So... what was your "gone wrong" question?

Regarding the above box... I don't get it...

I am a HP guy. So I let scat to fill in the Dell piece. :) I searched HP's shopping site and I found this:

HP Pavilion HPE h8xt series

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...s/leftnav_intel_processors_intel_2nd_gen_core

Ready to use box with an i7-2600 3.8 GHz processor, 9 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, Win 7 Home Premium. At $1119 compared to the $1879 iBUYPOWER box. I don't know what the additional dollars get you. Probably the video card has something to do with it.

For trading, some low end video cards will do the job. But wait... you need to drive 6 monitors. The HP box only has 1 PCIe X16 slot. You would need a hex-head graphics card. The other box has 2 PCIe X16 slots. Still can't take 3 x dual-head graphics cards.

You can do a dual-and-dual to support 4 monitors. Or you can do a quad-and-dual to try to support 6 monitors. Good luck getting that configuration to work. I have no experience in that.

3. Doubt if the problem is "slow computer at home"... more likely it's either some software difference or the difference in your internet connection.

The amount of data a computer can "handle" is at least 1000X what you usually see in a trading environment.

For 6 monitors, of course you need to get a proper mobo. Dell and HP are comparable in quality and I presume support... Dells, however, are usually several hundred $$ less than HP for the equivalent machine... it's known that both Dell and HP have their workstation mobos made by Foxconn... wouldn't be surprised to learn they both use the exact same mobo in some cases.

What CPU is running in your T3500?

4. How many video card you put in? for 3 GTX580, you need upgrade your power supply, original 800W is too small.

also, upgrade your OS to pro or Ultimate.

5. Perhaps not a good choice for your trading.

1. Has only 2, x16 slots for video cards.

2. Has HIGH powered video card... multitudes of overkill-ness for trading.

3. Expensive.

If you don't want to buy an HP or Dell workstation, ibuypower.com should be an OK place to get everything except video cards at a good price.

If you custom order one there, you can get one with 3 or 4 x16 slots on the mobo, X58 or P67 chipset... $1100-ish.

6. hiptogo

hiptogo

is all that power necessary for trading?

7. No

8. jprad

jprad

Getting a turnkey system that can drive 6 monitors is possible, but it's going to cost you, especially if you're interested in one that comes with an i7-2600K.

If you can build a system from parts then this configuration I put together on NewEgg will do the trick for $1,763 (less shipping and taxes):

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16534345

No idea how well the iBuyPower machine can overclock since we don't know what motherboard it comes with. But, it's capped somewhay by using 1333 speed ram. This machine comes with DDR3-1866 which will net you a much faster system from jump and can be easily overclocked to 4.5GHz with no risk of instability.

The GTX580 is overkill and can only drive 2 monitors. This configuration uses a much cheaper dual DVI, fanless HD6750 and the motherboard can support a 4th card if you want to drive 2 additional monitors.

The video, P/S, case and CPU cooler are spec'd to give you a reasonably quiet & fast computer.

9. LEAPup

LEAPup

I guess the gone wrong part was me thinking I could trade from home, and get it done with a laptop and two monitors. I just can't trade that way. Some guys have no problem doing it. It's about having a "wall" of information that I can read like a book. An ever changing book, but less clicking.

After thinking about it, and trying to save a grand vs. something that I'm used to at the office, I'd be better off personally going with what I'm most comfortable with.

Also, I greatly appreciate the advice! I was about to get into an expensive computer that doesn't have enough PCIe x16 slots, and I'm sure the guy on the phone at newegg would (hopefully) have pointed out that I couldn't run 6 monitors with it. I do like hp products, and am open to the idea. Just need one that will run the 6, and be speedy.

What do you think of the water cooling pcs vs. air cooling? Big difference if I'm going to have several programs running at one time?

One thing I was looking at that may save me some money is the fact that the monitors I'm considering have height, tilt, etc., adjustment. I was considering setting three on a desk, and if possibly have a Friend of mine who does wood working make a small but sturdy "shelf" that would be positioned behind the 3 desk monitors, and maybe a few + or - inches below the desk monitors so that the shelf isn't an "eyesore," or distracting. Or maybe not. I may just go with what I'm wanting vs. trying to rig up, and be aggrivated with myself... Here's a stand that isn't as expensive as others I'm seeing. What do you think about the price, and is it a pretty good stand? http://www.ergolcd.com/Ergotech-3-Over-3-100-D28-B33-Desk-Stand.html

I'll make a call about the hp you linked and ask if they have one with more slots so I can run the monitors.

10. LEAPup

LEAPup

I agree.

I'm going to go with 1000w. Thanks for pointing that out!

#10     Jun 18, 2011