Buckeyes are #1

Discussion in 'Politics' started by inandlong, Jan 4, 2003.

1. I won't go too deep into this, but if you want to talk if's and but's, sc has no more claim to playing OSU in a Champ game than OU or UGA. sc didn't even win the Pac 10..... WSU did, that's why they were in the Rose Bowl.

OSU destroyed WSU, OU destroyed WSU, SC lost to WSU. The only like opponent of the three.

The BCS screwed the pooch this year with the OB taking sc and iowa. The rose bowl should have gotten their matchup in iowa/wsu and the OB should have been SoCal/OU.

The Big X needs a champ game like the SEC and BIG XII, so you don't get the situation like this year with Iowa and OSU. If the two don't play, decide it on the field, just like WSU did with SC in the Pac 10.

Congrats to the Bucks, they earned it......

Later,

Cracked

#11     Jan 5, 2003
  2. Who were the two best teams at the end of the BCS championship process?

Isn't it a shame that the BCS winners can't meet in the Rose bowl now?

That is what I am talking about, just have a championship like all other sports.

Imagine not having a NCAA college championship in basketball, no Superbowl, no World Series (won by a wild card team this year) no other systems.

Of course, Ohio State won according to the system we have now and congratualtions to them!

I was just lamenting the fact we have the BCS system. I like to see teams playing the very best ball at the end of the year in a championship, just like all the other sports.

#12     Jan 5, 2003
  3. sc is no more deserving of a shot than is OU or UGA. All three played well in the bowl games. FSU didn't belong. Neither did an overrated ND as evidenced by the thrashing they received courtesy NCSU (included because they would have taken FSU's spot had it not been guaranteed). Iowa and OSU needed to have a single big 10 rep, no co-champ BS cause they don't play.

It's about when you lose not whom you lose to during the season. It's not right, but that's the way the system works. Lose late and your gone, end of story. The basis of your arguement is flawed because it discounts the beginning of the season. A team going 0-7 and finishing the season beating the #1 team for 5 consecutive weeks would deserve a shot because they were playing the best ball at the end of the year. It's an extreme, but displays the flaw.

I'd love to see a 4 team playoff after the bowls. Let them play.

All three of the Major bowl winners have a legit claim to wanting OSU next week, ain't gonna happen and everyone else is just 2nd or worse and it's really insignificant. OSU has the trophy and the spoils of victory.

OSU fans can thank the Stoops Brothers at OU for the defensive scheme they learned at a clinic in Norman last summer. OSU played it very well as evidenced by the low scoring games.

I hate it when college football ends, gotta wait until next fall.....

Later,

Cracked

#13     Jan 5, 2003
  4. We were screaming at my house about that one! By that time we were thinking one more first down and game over.

#14     Jan 6, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

Ideally, this would be great for the fans, sponsors, schools, etc. But in reality....how feasable is "win or go home" format for football? How many games can be played to elimination at the cost of how many injuries? Just not practical (IMHO). But it would be fun to watch...Football just isn't Basketball. More of a spectacle than just a game. More organization, travel, injuries, time consuming, and the logistics.....well, a simple comparison....wipe off a basketball court, and play the next game. Prepare a football field? Quite a different chore.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#15     Jan 6, 2003
  6. rs7
    Elite Member

01-06-03 01:15 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from OPTIONAL777:

Imagine not having a NCAA college championship in basketball, no Superbowl, no World Series (won by a wild card team this year) no other systems.

I was just lamenting the fact we have the BCS system. I like to see teams playing the very best ball at the end of the year in a championship, just like all the other sports.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ideally, this would be great for the fans, sponsors, schools, etc. But in reality....how feasable is "win or go home" format for football? How many games can be played to elimination at the cost of how many injuries? Just not practical (IMHO). But it would be fun to watch...Football just isn't Basketball. More of a spectacle than just a game. More organization, travel, injuries, time consuming, and the logistics.....well, a simple comparison....wipe off a basketball court, and play the next game. Prepare a football field? Quite a different chore.

Peace,
    rs7

Tell that to the Wild Card teams who won on Saturday in the NFL.

Play and go home in a round robin (even if it is only 4 teams) takes one extra week. Only one week!

Lower division NCAA teams have championships in football!
    (http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/football/college1aa/college1AAchampions.htm)

....and they are usually poor schools. They can aford all the logistics, but he big boy's cannot?

Poppycock.

#16     Jan 6, 2003
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

Even though my heart agrees with you 100%....the game was over and the call was very suspect; My Brain tells me it should've never gotten to this point....We should have more than covered the spread.......I just feel for W.Mcgahee; that pop cost him millions of dollars...I can also say that without a shadow of a doubt; the better team did not win in this case,,,thats for sure...

#17     Jan 6, 2003
  8. Sounds reasonable. You don't need 16 teams to compete in the playoffs for college football. 4 teams would be OK, 8 would be optimal. Question is, how do you also appease the Bowl political hierarchies and ensure that their revenue streams are not reduced? Also, how do you fit conference champions into a playoff picture? Or maybe the Bowls and playoffs can be separate and distinct. Ouch...my head hurts.

#18     Jan 6, 2003
  9. I felt for McGahee too. It was a wicked hit... legit... but wicked.

How you can say the better team did not win clearly shows what fan bias is all about. Our defense dominated you guys. Our offense put up more points than we usually do. The game's leading rusher was our QB! Were it not for the constant holding of your DB's all game long we would have smoked the 'canes like a cheap cigar.

Btw... Buckeyes are #1

#19     Jan 6, 2003
  10. You do indeed have braggin rights for one full year, which isn't bad since the last time was 1968.

#20     Jan 6, 2003