Bruce Lee Fitness and Exercise Forum

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, Sep 15, 2019.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Well I don t care what ur weak ass likes or not, and if u cared Abt eficiency u wouldn t
    Be posting pro Kun(g) Fu silliness

#31     Sep 16, 2019
  2. You want to do a dick swinging contest about which martial art is better?? I don't do that since I am not 12. Fuck off.

#32     Sep 16, 2019
  3. luisHK

luisHK

Yeah, no contest, we just need to agree this dude kicking air would kill his opponent( irónic considering you wouldn t show respect to tkdokas who at least kick each other and most likely faster than what Bruce Lee did decades ago).
    As I Saíd u are a fan boy incapable of discusión, and btw Tarentino didn't just say he wanted to show Brad Pitt was a strong dude, but basically also echo the reputatión of Bruce Lee as an arrogant little prick in Hollywood)

#33     Sep 16, 2019
  4. I think Bruce Lee was a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon. There is no denying his speed and skill, and I recall that he was every kid's hero in the early '70s, including mine.

But I think that discussion about martial arts styles is fairly moot, because I think the ability to fight is more person-specific than style-specific. Apart from the stylish one- or two-man forms, which we called kata and kumite, respectively, when I was taking karate at around that time, it all comes down to survival and gross-motor movement in actual fighting or fighting competition rather than fancy detail or nuance. It becomes more about the person and individual ability than the style. Consider Bruce Lee in this brief video.

He's crazy fast and effective, but I don't think anyone could identify his movements with any specific style of martial arts. But what I especially like about his approach is that he very rarely moves back when attacked, preferring to strike simultaneously, since that is when the opponent is at his most vulnerable. Very impressive, and much easier said than done.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    #34     Sep 16, 2019
    jl1575 likes this.
  5. His style was no style. After a few years he closed down his schools because he was afraid people would try to copy what he was teaching as a style and go against his philosophy. He was heavily influenced by the philosopher Krishnamurti. Unfortunately most of his teachings and demonstrations were never in front of the camera or were often private, especially when he trained with other martial artists.

His first adult movie was in 1971 and he died in 1973. He spent most of his adult life teaching and developing his art. he opened and ran schools in Seattle, Oakland and LA. People forget his big movie career was only 2-3 years and he was already 30.

His biggest contributions are really in the philosophy he developed based on Chinese philosophy and other areas adapted into his daily life as well as work out. His best and famous quote which is true with everything in life was:

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”

His approach to everything was based on this. That is why I am diving into his workout regiment. His strength for his size was legendary, especially if you extrapolate it to his size. Personally what he achieved physically is impressive so I am going down the path to study what he did and try to emulate it though I cannot emulate his results exactly.

#35     Sep 16, 2019
  6. Keep in mind that he was rather obsessive about his training, and that such strength is more person-specific than training-specific. Also, smaller guys tend to be able to lift more in relation to their weight than bigger guys. So to that extent, he "added what was specifically his own."

#36     Sep 16, 2019
  7. Well I still would love to be able to press straight out 75 lbs. and hold out. Going to work on it and build up slowly. Will do wonders for my shoulders and arms and core and nice arms for hoops.

#37     Sep 16, 2019
  8. Did a few of the isometric exercises today to figure out how to adapt them to my equipment and test them out. Also pressed for time so only short time and wanted to do this since later tonight I have another workout.

I did:

Press Lockout
    Press Start
    Pull
    Shrug

I added
    Bicep curl isometric using dumbbells
    Tricep pushdown isometric

Finished with forearm front and back curls.

Arms feel pumped a slightly sore.

Today is indoor soccer so I will be running my ass off so only wanted to try a few but toom me a minute or two before I was able to type with my arms slightly sore (mostly from forearms).

#38     Sep 16, 2019
  9. contra

contra

I'm not sure what can be better for power and strength in martial arts than what top wrestling/boxing/MMA trainers are currently doing.

First and foremost, actually training in your sport or martial art as much as possible. If you're wrestling, what can be better than actually wrestling (for the muscular endurance and technique)? To supplement that, strength training for speed and power they do plyometrics, olympic lifts, core work, deads, squats, sprinting, etc.

The rest is simply genetics. If Bruce Lee lived longer, I'm sure his routines would have changed some.

#39     Sep 16, 2019
    luisHK likes this.

10. One, no one ever offered to forget training in your sport and simply do weight training. Bruce trained hours a day martial arts (let's not forget as I said he was a teacher/trainer for 7-8 years before the first big movie role and still trained harder than anyone at the time. (as per Chuck Norris, Bob Wall, Jim Baker, etc..)

Two, every athlete in any sport supplements their training with resistance training, plyometrics and other similar training.

The famous story is that Bruce Lee took on a challenger in 1964 a fight that lasted almost 3 minutes and he was disappointed it took so long and also that he was so winded. That was the turning point that made him a fanatic about training and endurance and changed the course of his training going forward.

Look at him in 1964-1965 versus where he was in in 1971. Major body change.
    So you have not said anything different that what I am discussing.

Bruce Lee's routines changed constantly. He was always studying and looking for improved techniques and discarded what was time wasting. If you research his routines you will see over time how he added in new elements a lot, which is why he developed the physique that he did. I am offering to discuss in this thread many of the techniques that he used for various results.

#40     Sep 16, 2019