Bruce Lee Fitness and Exercise Forum

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, Sep 15, 2019.

1. speedo

speedo

Sorry to stray from your intended topic of Bruce's conditioning Ocho Cinco but discussions regarding the old boy create flash points leading to various detours.

#21     Sep 16, 2019
  2. Not sure what the big deal is and why the hate.

Also I think it is stupid to show a video of Bruce fooling around with an actor and saying he never hit him or it was no big deal. Did you expect him to kick him in the face and kill him?

Also what is the criticism of Kung fu for? That is just stupid.

#22     Sep 16, 2019
  3. luisHK

luisHK

OK I see u are a huge fan and trying to have a sensible discussion is pointless

#23     Sep 16, 2019

4. You need to research what was behind that video, too many fictional accounts. it was a stunt man asking about his speed, it was not a challenge for a real fight as the headlines made it out. You got duped by the hype. That is why it was just a one kick flicked at the guy, it was not a fight. Don't you see the guys standing around in the back laughing?

You seem to making opinion based statements rather than relying on factual accounts.

You are taking a lot of time out of your schedule to post in a thread about Bruce Lee to criticize Bruce Lee when the topic was on his physical conditioning.

Maybe please don't post anymore if you have nothing to contribute.

@Baron can you please assist to keep the thread on topic, thanks!

#24     Sep 16, 2019
  5. You have not said anything sensible. You are calling bullshit on a video where he was fooling around with a stuntman to say Bruce Lee was not all that? I hope you don't trade that way.

#25     Sep 16, 2019
  6. Isometric Program

To be done 2-3x a week mixed in with other training. I am going to improvise on some of the exercises since no one uses a power rack anymore like in those days and can be replicated using heavier weights on other apparatus.

This is based on functional overload. It foucses the maximum effort at the sticking point of the lift where most people fail on their max rep.
    This is similar to other programs where they focus on putting the strain on the muscle at the maximum point of the movement (i.e. when you do barbell curls, the maximum effort is at the midpoint but the weight spends the shortest amount of time there versus at the bottom or the top).

This is not a develop bulk method simlar to powerlifting. It is for functional strength to develop the muscles power and is a great supplement. Lee used this along with regular lifting to develop his muscle tone as well as functional strength (i.e. for actual use in sports or movements versus one rep max).

This is a supplement to regular lifting only not a replacement.

I dont use a power rack so ignore that but left in the instructions for clarity/detail.

Press Lockout (of a shoulder press position)
    • This is performed within a power rack with the bar set around 3 inches below the lockout position in an overhead press
    • Set yourself in the rack with your body locked straight by slightly bending your knees, engaging your core (front and back) and placing your hands shoulder width apart on the bar
    • Keep your eyes focused straight ahead
    • Then push as hard on the bar as you can, with a slight bend maintained in your elbows as dictated by the bar position, pushing for between 6 to 12 seconds

Press Start (again for a shoulder press position)
    • This time set the bar in the power rack at about chin height, and adopt all the other cues for your body position as above, engaging your core and slightly bending your knees, and focusing straight ahea
    • This time, your hands will again be pressing against the bar, shoulder width apart, but from a position much closer to the start position of a shoulder press
    • Press maximally for between 6 to 12 seconds again
    Rise on Toes
    • This time you will be doing a calf raise, pushing against the bar with the bar across your shoulders. So set the bar in the power rack at a height just a little above your shoulder height when you stand straight in the power rack
    • Step beneath the bar and place your arms out and hands holding or wrapped over the bar, as you would to steady the bar in a barbell squat
    • Rise on your toes to meet the bar with your shoulders, locking the knees and hips as you push maximally as though trying to lift the bar. You can look up slightly with the head, again as you would in a barbell squat
    • Again, hold the max exertion for between 6 to 12 seconds
    [​IMG]

Pull (as in the beginning position of an upright row)
    • Since this will be replicating an upright row, set the bar in the power rack at a height a few inches above where the bar would sit if holding it across your thighs with your arms straight
    • Again use a shoulder width hand placement on the bar
    • Now, as in an upright row, look straight ahead, and with your arms bent, and shoulders kept down, pull maximally on the bar, holding this for between 6 to 12 seconds
    [​IMG]

Parallel Squat
    • Now set the bar at the right height for it to rest across the back of your shoulders when you assume a 90 squat position, with your thighs parallel to the floor
    • Placing your hands out to your sides to hold the bar as in a barbell squat, assume the squat position under the bar and push up maximally for between 6 to 12 seconds
    • Remember to look straight ahead
    [​IMG]

Shoulder Shrug
    • This position replicates the start position of a barbell shrug, so set the bar where it needs to be for you to grasp it with your arms straight, so the bar is across your thighs
    • With an overhand, shoulder width grip, try to shrug the bar up, exerting a maximal effort from your trapezius muscles for between 6 to 12 seconds
    Dead-Weight Lift
    • Now you want to set the bar at a height that replicates a position having pulled the bar of the floor in a dead lift, and having pulled it about half way up your shin
    • So adopt all the prompts for a deadlift. Keep your head looking straight ahead, looking up slightly to keep your back extended. Your knees will be slightly bent as in a squat, so ensure your knees point in the same direction as your toes with a natural or toes straight ahead foot position (whichever you personally favour)
    • With your hands shoulder width apart, pull maximally on the bar for between 6 to 12 seconds
    [​IMG]

Assume this deadlift start position with the bar locked in a power rack, or just loaded with a weight too heavy for you to be able to lift (image source: t-nation.com)

Quarter Squat
    • To finish, position the bar around 4 inches below where it would be if you were to stand up straight under the bar. This simulates a point close to the top of a squat as such
    • As you would in a squat then, back up to the bar so it rests against the back of your shoulders, with your hands out to your sides holding the bar.
    • With your eyes kept straight ahead, brace and tense all your muscles maximally as you push against the bar for between 6 to 12 seconds, again looking up slightly if needed to ensure your back stays straight or slightly extended

Using a home system pulley/bar gym I can replicate most of these in a different way. Your mileage may vary but this workout Lee did was based on Hoffman who was a pioneer at the time and founder of York Barbell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    #26     Sep 16, 2019
  7. speedo

speedo

Hybrid approach

[​IMG]

#27     Sep 16, 2019
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Nope, just calling BS on the commentator of the vídeo, and any clueless dude who thinks that kick would have killed anyone except a young child.
    Besides my schedule is very light, don t worry, I ve made enough money from the financial markets and fast enough to bé fairly idle.
    As of the training to achieve such a body, I m not attracted to such a end product so won t share input on that topic.
    As of knowing Bruce Lee would lose vs a Thai bóxer back in his time, I never claimed I did but your fan boy mindset doesn't help ur reading. I d sure bet on the Thai bóxer still, world and fighting sports have internationalised greatly so Muay Thai techniques have been adopted overseas but accounts of early Kun fu fighters trying their luck in Thailand don t look good For the Kun fu guys. Thai fighters coming to the US a few decades ago gave local fighters hell as well with their low kicks

#28     Sep 16, 2019
  9. Please stop filling this thread with off topic posts. And it is spelled Kung Fu or Gung Fu in romanized Cantonese.
    Start a thread on Muay Thai if you are interested but still don't understand what the fuck that has to do with this thread. I dont care about slappy Olympic competitions where you hit someone with pads and only contact earns points.

Post elsewhere.

#29     Sep 16, 2019
  10. I see that came out in 1998, Hoffman published in 1964. I am sure there have been numerous variations and improvements over time.

#30     Sep 16, 2019