Brokers Who Can Find Hard to Find Stocks to Short

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by dcwriter2, Jul 16, 2021.

1. I'm one of those guys who shorts UVXY (please no critiques in this thread). I used IB for this trade until I got tired of them not having any shares on hand or even calling my shares back. Then I tried Schwab and I was pleasantly surprised how I was rarely turned down when I wanted to short some UVXY, and never had any called away. But lately, Schwab has been getting problematic, like all week I couldn't get any UVXY to short. I'm not sure if this issue is linked to the overall level of short interest in the underlying or not, or if it's broker related, but if it the later, is there a really good broker for shorting this product?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It can change from day to day and I did not check inventory from our trade desk, that has no locate cost, but the locate tool has shares.
    upload_2021-7-16_11-43-51.png

3. Girija

Girija

Kinda hard to find brokers to short uvxy. You can try synthetic shorts using options(even that has restrictions, at times) or move to vxm mini vix.
    There is a svix etf approved but not listed yet. Svxy is the only other alternative but is not appealing anymore since they reduced leverage.

4. Ok, if I wanted to give Lightspeed a try, pay a small commission, and just test shorting some UVXY with real money, what is the minimum I need to do this for a while? 15K? Or would the nature of the beast, in this case, require more to meet internal margin requirements, although I partially black swan hedge with far long OTM calls?

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

On Lightspeed Trader you can do that.

6. Ok, may check it out next week. Btw, any promotions offers for new money?

7. El Trado

El Trado

When I was a broker, we could always get stocks to short for our customers. But it was nothing we bothered doing for small investors focusing on low cost. So if you focus your trades one place, and become a decent client, I think most reputable brokers could help you

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

9. Dna7272

Dna7272

Hello, I am interested in Lightspeed. Could you help me with a few questions? First, when I can start locating stocks with lightspeed, 7 am? In your opinion, are you on par with Cobra trading in terms of locate availabilities?

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes, we can respond to locate request before 7am. I have no way to answer your other question.

#10     Jul 23, 2021