brokers that support OpenQuant

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bobpit, Mar 8, 2010.

1. bobpit

bobpit

Guys, I am very new to automated trading, so please forgive my ignorance.

I read about OpenQuant, that it is a good platform to execute orders for an automated trading system. BUT, when I asked a broker (cmsfx) they told me they do not support it. They use VT Trader.

I am confused now.

1) Do I need to switch platforms and learn a new programming language every time I switch broker?

2) Do I need to find a list of brokers supporting OpenQuant, and choose one of them?

2. byteme

byteme

http://www.openquant.com/site/openquant.php

Lists the brokers and feeds that OpenQuant supports.

That list might be out of date (it includes OpenTick which is now defunct) so you're best off calling or e-mailing OpenQuant to confirm who their software can work with.

3. bobpit

bobpit

Thank you byteme

I was afraid of this answer. Now my choice of brokers is more limited.

4. you can always write a plugin for your broker if you want to use both them & OpenQuant.

If I remember right they have a couple examples of this code that is sent with the product

5. byteme

byteme

Yes, good point. The broker adapters are relatively straightforward to code depending on your broker's API and programming capability. A lot of the code can be lifted from the examples provided.

6. bobpit

bobpit

Thank you guys, you are very helpful.

Since I am new to this, I prefer to start with a broker (like IB) that does support OpenQuant. Later on, if I find a broker that I do like more, then I can customize things.