Brokers and filling illegal orders

Discussion in 'Options' started by alexandercho, Sep 20, 2009.

1. zdreg

zdreg

the only way u can come to this conclusion is if you read his posts on other threads.
    good thing u didn't use the word whiner. some mods will instinctively delete that word because they know instinctively who it refers to.
    of course u are right.

#21     Sep 21, 2009
  2. johnnyc

johnnyc

happens all the time with online trading. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

the market maker could really have rejected the order though for attempting to cross the NBBO. I would guess the order wasn't for that many contracts though...

#22     Sep 21, 2009
  3. jj90

jj90

And the OP wants to go long banks in another thread.......hmmm...

#23     Sep 21, 2009

4. You definately should file a complaint at your local FINRA office for doing <10% BETTER than your limit order. How dare they fill you at a better price than your limit, this is an outrage!

Get your State Attorney General involved ASAP.

#24     Sep 21, 2009
  5. That's why many times, brokers tend to blame most traders out of "instinct".

Hell, if you're a CSR & you see this crap all the time, then, pretty soon you'll sound like an IB rep!

These fools & their "seek legal action" BS. Damn!

#25     Sep 21, 2009
  6. lol!

Not to laugh at your misfortune, but that really struck me as funny.

How long ago had you entered the order? if you enter it as GTC ("good 'til cancel") it'll just sit there and wait until you physically cancel the order.

Other options are for "day," which expire at the end of the trading day, and another type "fill of kill" is of even shorter duration (not sure if fill-or-kills are still available at the retail level).

Unfortunate that it happened to you, but consider it like paying for a seminar in trade execution or something. You'll likely never leave a GTC order just sitting around. Hopefully it wasn't too much money.

#26     Sep 21, 2009
  7. whoa, so much yapping this was resolved a long time ago. It's just a question and now people are jumping and down over it.

#27     Sep 21, 2009
  8. spindr0

spindr0

OK, I'll bite. Who does it refer to?

:confused:

#28     Sep 22, 2009
  9. spindr0

spindr0

I went to Walmart this morning.

The salesperson said, "It's your lucky day. That item was reduced 25% today."

I asked, "Can I have yesterday's price?"

:)

#29     Sep 22, 2009
  10. No he cannot

The MM cannot reject the order. Where do you get such ideas?

The MM is not supposed to see the customer order, unless it cannot be instantly filled when it reaches the pit.

The MM is filled electronically because the offer is lower than the bid and that's that.

Mark

#30     Sep 22, 2009