Brokerage Research

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Avalanche, May 1, 2002.

1. Hi All. I know brokerage research is a joke right now, but I need to learn some new sectors. I know technology and semiconductors very well, but when I look at what sectors are doing well or atleast have high stock prices which fluctuate a buck or two a day...I am realizing that I really don't have a handle on managed care companies, the speciality retailers, defense stocks, home builders, etc. etc.

Anyway, I would like to get a hold of some brokerage research (some briefs, industry overviews, etc) so that I can educate myself better.

My question is this: How can I get some research without opening an account at two or three firms? What do they do with the old stuff? If I go to the local Bearstearns office and ask for some old research do you think they would give it to me free. (When I go to multex or elsewhere....most of these "industry briefs" cost 15-30 bucks).

Or does anyone know a website that has some good overviews of sectors. I know H&Q makes some of their stuff available.

Or better yet, you guys that speciailize in trading some names besides OEX, Naz 100 types, how did you learn that sector? I can pick up red herring or something and get to know a lot of the tech names....but what is the best way to learn other groups? I'm thinking that getting hold of some brokerage research is probably the best way, but am unsure how to obtain it.

If anyone has suggestions about how to best learn sectors or new industry groups, or how I can obtain some brokerage research (even if's dated...I just want to learn the companies...not what the analysts think they are going to do. :p.

Thanks.

Avalanche

2. Since brokerage reports are simply ways for firms to churn their customers accounts, they are pretty meaningless. We know, on a daily basis, which sectors are strong or weak by simply monitoring them immediately after the opening. Having reports will likely guide you to making big mistakes in trading.

All that being said, try going to the exchanges and list the sector indexes and then find the individual stocks. Use www.atomica.com to get simple reports.

Don

3. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

While I agree with Don that most brokerage recommendations are suspect, their industry analysis is usually pretty good. If you are just trying to get an idea of what fundamental factors will move stocks over time in specific sectors then it is a good place to start.

Avalanche...PM me with your email address. I might be able to help.

4. Well, I absolutely agree that most of the sell side research is pretty worthless as far as the performance goes, but I am simply trying to get a handle on the stocks in the sector and prehaps more importantly....how they trade together.

I have spent some time at market-topology and have a pairs list, and I have the index's on my computer....but I would like to get a better feel for how some of the stocks in those groups correlate.

For example.....if amat, nvls, klac, brks, etc are strong and the sox.x is therefore strong....buying RFMD on a day when nokia is sluggish means that even though I long a semi in a strong index, my stock is likely not to participate.

That type of thing.

Again, if anyone has advice on where to some old brokerage research, or would like to share how they got to know a sector they trade inside and out...please post. Basically I would like to spend up my learning curve.

Thanks.

5. stevet

stevet

unfortunatly the second someone has put pen to paper to distribute research - that research is then history

and analysts crystal balls are driven by the amount of M&A activity that might be gained - but when M&A declines - they get all righteous on ansd want to go back to producing real research -same old story - after every boom and bust - unfortunatly do not have a clue!

6. The "correlation" and the "reading" of Nasdaq stocks is pretty much nonexistant. Since they have a highly fragmented market, you'll find it difficult to "read the tape" or find meaningful convergence divergence.

I would suggest that you stick with listed stocks, they're easier to read, and will offer you a much higher likelihood of profitablity.
    (All you naz guys ....don't get me wrong, I'm just pointing out that listed stocks are so much easier to read and therfore trade). :)

Don