Brokerage Integration Framework

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by wavetrader007, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm working on a system and am currently designing a common Broker API and wanted to get some input on a question I have regarding 1 Account -> 1 Broker Connection or Many Accounts -> 1 Broker Connection because it has an impact on how I design the overall system.

Does it make sense to open on broker connection for each account even if two accounts are from the same brokerage firm or does it make sense to have one broker connection for all my accounts at a brokerage firm? Is the FIX protcol built around the design that one connection has access to multiple accounts?

Thanks for any input. - WaveTrader007

2. The fix protocol is build for professional and backoffice use. NATURALLY it supports multiple accounts - it is quite common to have those, esepcialyl if you are a larger operation, and this is what Fix targets.

If you ever read the FIX specs you get a look at how big guys wor - TONS of instrument types and order types that have no relevance in normal brokerages. OTC stuff etc.

Multiple accounts is baseline. You could not run fix on a backoffice operation without that.