Brokerage Firm Recommendation Needed for Shorting Stocks

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by WinSum, Sep 27, 2003.

1. I shorted NTES and SINA using my Prophet Trader account. They have a pretty extensive short list.

#11     Sep 28, 2003
  2. I have found SWS has the biggest inventory for shorts ( usually 50k shares plus without even asking for additional, but usually youcan get more)....Penson firms have to relay on not only Penson but also wexford, because Penson gets a lot of their stock form them...where does IB get their stock from?

#12     Oct 6, 2003
  3. WinSum

WinSum

thanks for the brokerage info.

TM_Direct, what is the homepage for SWS ?

TIA

#13     Oct 6, 2003
  4. richk

richk

what brokers use SWS for clearing (and so they can use their shorting inventory...)

#14     Oct 6, 2003
  5. a bunch....a lot of the same ones listed on this board.....I once used Penson and was given a daily list of stocks we could make available to traders..often having amounts ranging from 500 shares to 25k.., but when I switched to SWS i was amazed that i was told ' if it;s marginable, your good for 50k shares and if you need more , just give a call"...never had a problem.

#15     Oct 6, 2003
  6. We clear thru Computer Clearing Services (CCS) based out of California. They provide us a daily short list for majority of stocks on Nasdaq, NYSE, AMEX priced $5 and above. When there is a stock priced above $5 with no shares shortable they are quick at finding available shares shortable for that stock.

XoomTrade Customer Support
    www.xoomtrade.com

#16     Oct 8, 2003
  7. richk

richk

Could you provide example ? What is your list for ETF (sector based) shares for today (08.10.2003)? You can send it by email to me.

#17     Oct 8, 2003
  8. Maybe you actually got lucky in not being able to short considering the stock is up.:p

Looks like your signal would've gotten you short at the very bottom?

#18     Oct 8, 2003
  9. For example, here is today's (oct. 8) daily list of certain ETF's and the current shares shortable available on our Direx Trading Platforms.....

QQQ: 20,000 shares
    DIA: 10,000 shares
    SPY: 10,000 shares
    SMH: 10,000 shares
    BBH: 10,000 shares
    HHH: 10,000 shares

....upon a trader's request, we can contact our clearing firm immediately to increase the amount of available shares shortable.

XoomTrade Customer Support
    www.xoomtrade.com

#19     Oct 8, 2003
  10. Prophet Trader also clears through CCS. So far, I have not had any problems shorting.

#20     Oct 8, 2003