Broker with the best list of shortable stocks?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by ZebProctor, May 25, 2005.

1. I knew I wasn't going crazy... this morning I tried to short GOL, but E*Trade wouldn't let me..... even though it is on the IB List... what's up with that?

#11     Jun 7, 2005
  2. I guess it happens... I've never seen it in any of the stocks I short.

Martin

#12     Jun 7, 2005
  3. NKNY

NKNY

Here is the published short list for genesis... http://www.gndt.com/support/shortlist.htm

Anyone care to compare it to IB....I wont be able to get to it for a few days...

EDIT: well threw them into excel and counted 3997 shorts....

Nick

#13     Jun 21, 2005
  4. def

def Sponsor

#14     Jun 21, 2005
  5. for those counting, Tradestation Securities has 3365 available to short on 6/21

DS

#15     Jun 21, 2005
  6. Hah! I was right. That's a pitiful short list. None of the 8 or 9 stocks and ETFs I am currently short at various retail brokers are on Genesis' short list.

In my experience none of the direct-access brokers even begin to compete with the large retail brokers such as Ameritrade, BrownCo, and especially E*Trade in terms of shortable stocks. Those brokers have large in house inventories that are very hard for a small broker or clearing firm to compete with. Interactive Brokers may be the closest but they're still pitiful. Southwest Securities used to be good but since Reg SHO, they suck too. Makes me wonder what shenanigans they were up to in clearing short sales.

Martin

#16     Jun 21, 2005
  7. NKNY

NKNY

What about hold brothers ,

Anyone know where to see their short list....

Or any other firms that are good or bad would be appreciated...

Nick

#17     Jun 22, 2005
  8. Toonces

Toonces

And SLK...I know they used to have a huge inventory. Has that also gone by the wayside since Reg SHO?

#18     Jun 22, 2005
  9. NKNY

NKNY

Sent an email to hold brothers about where I can find info on their short list or even if they publish such info...but no responce yet...

As a matter of fact, I remember sending another email to them a while ago and I never received a responce....

Nick

#19     Jun 22, 2005
  10. Toonces

Toonces

If I remember correctly, they clear through Southwest, correct? I opened an account with JPR (which clears through Southwest) just for shorting. In 3 months, I have attempted several shorts (that I was unable to short through IB) and every single one was rejected. I would assume that all Southwest firms have the same short list.

#20     Jun 23, 2005