Broker that Doesn't Prevent You from Buying Options (before expiration)?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by OptionAnalyst, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hey all,

I wanted to ask you if you know a broker that would let you open option positions 10 or 5 minutes (or even 1 second before close) before expiration without having the buying power for it (by that I mean the funds needed to excercise the options).
    I had a chat with an IB rep and he told me there's nothing they will do about it because it's their rule.
    Example:
    Let's say I wanted to buy 100 put options of BABA with a strike of $167.5 expiring today (18th August 2017). At 3:48pm I could have bought them for $0.01 a pop and at 3:57pm I could have sold them for $0.20 a pop.
    Problem: IB will tell you that you need a few hundred k's in order to satisfy the post expiry margin, even if you intend on selling them before the close.
    But even if you held them past close, they could just deny the excercise if you didn't have the funds. So I don't see their problem in disallowing such trading strategies.

Now I'm looking for a broker that allows it and that has a very low per contract fee for stock options.
    Can anyone help out?

Kind Regards,
    OptionAnalyst

2. Interesting question. If you bought them with an automatic and irrevocable NO EXERCISE , I'm not sure what the problem would be.

Maybe they don't want you competing for the cheap options.

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'd be happy to discuss this. Send me an email, not PM, with your name and contact information and I'll give you a call Monday.

Bob

4. just21

just21

What happened to baba to move so much?

5. my example is just last minute MM illegal option pinning activity, use it to your advantage.

just21 likes this.
  6. Wondering the same, they argue that it's risk management for you from their side, but I'd like to have my own risk management and not have a babysitter telling me what to do.

7. If you buy the option for a penny, and have no ex risk, there's nothing to manage.

You either sell at a profit or limited loss.

8. just21

just21

So the open interest wad greater at 167.5 than 168.

9. I see how this makes sense. What happens when you can't sell them due to liquidity, take the exercise because they are in the money (auto exercise) which makes you short 10,000 shares of BABA on Monday. Now news comes out over the weekend and the stock spikes up on the open Monday. Who covers that difference when you don't have the equity in the account - you or the broker?

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If you lose more than your account value, you are responsible for those losses. Whatever your broker can't recover from you, they are responsible for.

#10     Aug 20, 2017