Broker Price Improvement - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by wpost, May 27, 2021.

1. wpost

wpost

Hi all,

Wondering how you feel about broker price improvements. Buying and getting filled at the bid, or selling and getting filled at the ask or a price close to either one. I've been trading for a long time and I can expect some great improvements on price, or at least splitting the spread. Getting a one penny improvement on 5,000 shares can really add up if it happens a few times a day. I've been using Ameritrade and they have been fantastic until a few weeks ago. Now I'm lucky if I get a 1/10 of a penny more. How's your broker, especially lately?

Thanks.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. def

def Sponsor

I know one broker who doesn't sell order flow and where I believe you'll see better price improvement !

levanyashin and murray t turtle like this.
  3. %%
    Fine;
    but NOBODY works for nothin' As IBD founder said ''look @ both sides of the trade. '' ONE of my main rules actually came thru them, came from the days of a quarter bid/ask spread; but i still use with profit '' never quibble over a quarter + miss the move''
    IF all traded like you + i do that would mess up those patterns for sure............................................................................................. Thanks

salenanolen likes this.
  4. tonyf

tonyf

BTIG TradeSave ?

5. Mine’s been the same actually. Pretty good with the pricing structure. Been trading with fxview, and in case there’s some change in the price structure, not that it hurts my pocket any more. Plus, with variable spreads, I guess change in the spreads according to the change in the events or economical news is expected.

6. My broker doesn’t sell order flow and this is the reason why I have been using it for so long.

7. wpost

wpost

Can you share which broker you're referring to?

8. What did you mean getting a 1/10 of a penny more?

thanks!

9. wpost

wpost

By 1/10 of a penny more I mean when buying at a $1.48 ask I get filled at $1.479, or if selling at the $1.47 bid I get 1/10 of penny more by being filled at $1.471. Sometimes I would get filled at a full penny more but now Ameritrade thinks price improvement is $1.4799 buy or $1.4701 sell.

freeman311122 likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

The difference between 14.799 and 14.701 is 98 thousandths of a cent. You stock traders are crazy.

#10     Jun 29, 2021