Broker Could Steal Your Strategy???

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ChadZ1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. "Broker Could Steal Your Strategy???"

I seriously doubt it, because they don't know what triggered the entry or exit. Guess they could try to reverse engineer all the trades to try and deduce it, but I think it would be extremely tough to do.

On the other hand, I have one ira account at a retail discount firm and out of the blue one of their "financial consultants" cold called me. (I have never called or emailed them in the 4 years I have had the account there.)

He introduces himself and talks about all the help he can provide me. He then trys to flatter me and tells me he is impressed with the growth of my account. (The account has quintupled in 4 years) He goes on to say that I probably take too much risk and how he can help me define a diversified portfolio consistant with my risk tolerance or some such babble...

I ask him specifically which trades over the 4 years were too risky. I ask him if any of the investments or investment strategies he is proposing can offer the rate of return that is superior to my self generated returns. He continues to babble.

I then ask him the average annual rate of return for the clients he has advised over the last 4 years. He then says he will drop the info in the mail....

I never heard from him again, but clearly account reps look at accounts to see which ones they can sell crap to and I am sure that some of the smarter ones pay attention to the successful accounts to see how they generate the returns, but I am almost sure they can't figure it out because if they were truly talented, they would be trading for themselves....

#21     Aug 20, 2009
  2. If you have 5 strategies eg. why not open 5 different accounts (even on the same broker) and run 5 computers so that each of them gets no link with each other.

or even if its the same, your broker cant tell what strategy is what.

#22     Jul 8, 2012
  3. I have 59 strategies. What should I do?

#23     Jul 8, 2012
  4. No.

If you have enough solid strategies, that worked since at least the last 30 years, you can bet all your money on it that they will work the next 30 years.

Maybe, if you tell the public your strategies, how you made millions, then "maybe" they stop working in some way.
    But i dont think so.

If you have successfull wonderful perfect strategies, then the only thing you do is following the incoming stronger momentum and as long there is trading there will be one side with stronger momentum and there will always occur strong direct moves and thats where you want to be.

That will never change, not even if you write a book about your holy secrets.

Dont worry about it, just make money.

#24     Jul 8, 2012
  5. zdreg

zdreg

you have 5 different names or maybe joint accounts with 5 members of your family? five computers? put them in the garage? put 25k + into each account to maintain a patterned day traders' status

one thing is for sure. based upon this post you have nothing to worry about.
    nobody will try to steal your strategy.

your post is definitely in the running for one of the worst posts ever on ET.

#25     Jul 8, 2012
  6. Thanx man i never laughed so hard !!!!! i fall out my chair :))

brilliant humor

#26     Jul 8, 2012
  7. Sort of distributed intelligence... one could use a colocated server with part of one's intellectual property on it and give it oversight by a computer at your operating position that had more of the intellectual property on it. If the broker could be whitelisted to only connect to the colo computer the broker's only choice would be to try to reverse engineer your strategy and that is not doable unless they know something about your chart at your operating position. Further you could keep some of the decision making in your head like ok'ing trades the computers want to place by looking at the chart and hitting the go/nogo buttons...

#27     Jul 8, 2012
  8. Then u run 59 Computers. Basically insulting my Maths and Intelligent Time wasted.

#28     Jul 9, 2012

9. Name me your:

-Company name
    -Name of Hedge fund
    -Total no. of investors
    -Total AUM
    -Inception date.

I suppose you have a fund and the appointed fund manager is under your name, registered in SEC's or hedgefundresearch.com DB, no ?

What 25k ? Are you a retail investor ?

#29     Jul 9, 2012
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2