Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, Mar 1, 2006.

I pick #7.

1. Saw it, loved it.

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Saw it, shrug.

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Saw it, blech.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Started it, walked out.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Want to see it.

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Don't care if I see it or not.

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  7. Will never see it, ever.

38 vote(s)
    43.7%
  8. I wanna be a cowboy!

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Amen RM.

I especially admire the Afghan farmers growing poppies who tell meddling foreigners to fuck off.

#41     Mar 6, 2006
  2. "The other element of friendship is tenderness. We are holden to men by every sort of tie, by blood, by pride, by fear, by hope, by lucre, by lust, by hate, by admiration, by every circumstance and badge and trifle; but we can scarce believe that so much character can subsist in another as to draw us by love. Can another be so blessed, and we so pure, that we can offer him tenderness? When a man becomes dear to me, I have touched the goal of fortune."

Self-Reliance and Other Essays, Friendship, Ralph Waldo Emerson

#42     Mar 6, 2006
  3. The homophobe excuse didn't stick as the reason for not winning the oscar so now a liberal has made up a new label.

ruralphobe-

What a jackass.

BROKEBACK'S McMURTRY ACCUSES ACADEMY OF RURAL DISCRIMINATION

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN co-writer LARRY MCMURTRY believes urban drama CRASH beat his film to the Best Picture Award, because Academy members discriminate against rural stories. The writer, who has been involved with four Oscar nominated films including THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, claims Crash won because it was set in Los Angeles - where most Academy voters live. He explains, "The three rural films (I was involved with) lost. The one urban film, Terms of Endearment, won. "Members of the Academy are mostly urban people. Crash was a hometown movie."

#43     Mar 7, 2006
  4. I guess Platoon, Ghandi, Out of Africa, Forrest Gump, Unforgiven, Gladiator, Braveheart, The English Patient and Dances with Wolves must have been 'Urban' Movies too.

- Spydertrader

#44     Mar 7, 2006
  5. That's what liberal thinking does to the human mind. Nothing is ever won or lost on merit in the liberals' world. It's only victim this, discrimination that, xyz-phobe the other thing. The winner is the one that can muster the greatest amount of "compassion". Thus, to liberals, racism "beat out" homophobia at the Oscars, but homosexuals feel agrieved because they think their cause is more deserving.

#45     Mar 7, 2006
  6. Here is some classic liberal whining- If they don't get their way they immediatly turn to name calling and labeling.

But here is Ken Turan in the Los Angeles Times, writing on the morning after: "So for people who were discomfited by 'Brokeback Mountain' but wanted to be able to look themselves in the mirror and feel like they were good, productive liberals, 'Crash' provided the perfect safe harbor. They could vote for it in good conscience, vote for it and feel they had made a progressive move, vote for it and not feel that there was any stain on their liberal credentials for shunning what 'Brokeback' had to offer. And that's exactly what they did."

And Nikki Finke, in the LA Weekly: "Way back on Jan. 17, I decided to nominate the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for Best Bunch of Hypocrites. That's because I felt this year's dirty little Oscar secret was the anecdotal evidence pouring in to me about hetero members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences being unwilling to screen 'Brokeback Mountain.' For a community that takes pride in progressive values, it seemed shameful to me that Hollywood's homophobia could be on a par with Pat Robertson's."

#46     Mar 7, 2006
  7. But, spect8or, you <i>are</i> a homophobe, and you <i>do</i> discriminate, by your own admission. So, I really don't think you have a heck of a lot of credibility making this accusation.

For what it's worth, I think Crash won on merit.

Martin

#47     Mar 7, 2006
  8. IMO, just because gay sex may be <i>wrong for you</i>, doesn't mean it's <i>wrong</i>.

#48     Mar 7, 2006
  9. Gay sex isn't wrong: it's pathological.

#49     Mar 7, 2006
  10. If a guy craves man-ass instead of hot young females, that's just less competition for me. Why would I want to discourage him?

#50     Mar 7, 2006