broke/ unemployed and out of options so i signed up for the military.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by economicZero, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Civilian cop safer than military? Do you have any stats to back that up?

It probably all depends. A peace officer in a low-crime small town, Coast Guard officer or AF officer (non-flying, non-Special Ops) are all relatively safe.

#51     Jul 6, 2010
  2. He hasn't signed up yet. It's obvious by the way he talks. I made 6 figures for 7 years at online poker and am now 9 months into the army, just graduated combat medic school. I joined because I was sick of doing a meaningless job for nothing but money. I plan on doing my 4 years and getting out to have a career as a paramedics. Best choice I ever made career wise I think. I love what I do even though I make very little money. It sucks being away from my wife and kids but the character that hard stuff like that builds is priceless imo.

#52     Jul 6, 2010
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

Getting motivated to fight Soviets who are parachuting in your back yard and getting motivated to fight questionable wars in the "sand box" are two different animals...

#53     Jul 6, 2010
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

5. No, you are an idiot.

Benning is not called Bennington by anyone. I suppose Airborn, Pathfinder, Ranger, Sniper are "liesurely" schools on Benning? How about the folks in 3rd BCT?

And the posts you list are not hardship based on location or purpose you idiot.

Drum and Hood hold combat divisions. Huachuca and Knox are training bases.

If your input on a thread such as this is so blatantly wrong, I really hope your input on anything trading related has some validity.

Should have put you on ignore before.

Completely ignorant of every topic you speak of.

#55     Jul 6, 2010
  6. Roark

Roark

WTF happened? You lost seven figures in year eight, and thereafter decided a guy screaming in your face and telling you to do push-ups and run laps sounded like an attractive career change?

#56     Jul 6, 2010
  7. Lets address your post categorically.

First, I can call the post anything I want because I was stationed there at one time.

Second, Airborne and all the other schools you mentioned are leisurely depending upon who you are. I was on the track team in high school and ran a sub-10 minute 2 mile weighing in at about 150 lbs. I also was a Boy Scout and loved to go camping. I grew up in a moutainous area and would go out into the wilderness for days...sometimes weeks. Hunting was my thing too. So all those schools you mentioned are pretty leisurely to me. I already did all that for fun. In fact, you will find Airborne school pretty leisurely after working a construction, farming or other manual labor job. I did that too before I was 18...farm labor...now that is a real job. Back then, you were barely paid anything and had to live in ramshackle tight quarters unlike today where you get paid a college graduate's wage and get to sleep in luxury apartments.

Third, when I went through airborne school the parachutes fell a lot faster then they did now. They have to slow them down for you because you are heavier and slower then the soldiers of old. There were no "stress cards" or whatever you call them nowadays. Everything was a lot more rigourous then they are now.

Fourth, it doesnt matter if its a combat or training post, the military can stick you wherever there is a need for you. They still need soldiers to staff training posts in the various positions. Lets take a 92A or whatever they call that nowadays. They could take a guy like that and stick him in any installation in the world. You could get stuck in places where you didnt even think they had military installations. Sometimes you see these military guys out in these random places in the United States where its hundreds of miles to any installation. They are staffing some remote room full of junk in the middle of nowhere. Thats not the life the recruiter told you it would be, but thats what happens at times in the governmental mess. You get stationed in the middle of nowhere in charge of junk and seemingly forgotten about with no bar or anything else around for hundreds of miles.

Fifth, you dont know what a hardship tour is until you have lived in Kentucky. I am not saying its a bad place, its not for me though. To me thats hardship. Getting up the hills of Agony, Misery and Heartbreak loaded down at elevation was a lot harder then anything Benning could ever present to me. How about getting up to the sounds of main guns on the tanks going off and seeing the flash in the sky? I guess thats how you want to raise a family or live life. I honestly would live in any other place, even Alaska, then Kentucky.

Sixth, if you think Benning is hard then you need to lose that weight cowboy and stop eating the pizza&Burger King. You can run a lot faster when you have lost that 10 lbs of fat and water.

#57     Jul 6, 2010
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Yeah, what a bizarre claim. Maybe he should write an e-book: "How to Make Six Figures Annually in Online Gaming and Get So Bored that You Go to Basic Training and Iraq for Thrills."

#58     Jul 6, 2010
  9. Carpal tunnel, back problems, vision problems...all so I can play a stupid card game all day. Or I can be a soldier, and a medic. And all the harsh treatment changes you in a good way. Not all unpleasant things are bad things. 7 years of working for nothing but money wasn't doing much for me. And 100k after taxes self employed ain't that great.

#59     Jul 6, 2010
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

And the Army let you in with all those physical defects? You really do need to write a book about your life...

#60     Jul 6, 2010