broke/ unemployed and out of options so i signed up for the military.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by economicZero, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Actually Sal, there is no truth in your post. Do your contract, leave.

Sign a contract and look to get out is another story. CONTRACT.

Of course you can cry like a baby and get out ahead of your contract as well. US military is "sensitive".

This is not the 70's military (or earlier).

#21     Jul 5, 2010
  2. Wilt

Wilt

EconomicZero,

I hope that you fully investigated your military options before joining. The Coast Guard is a great organization without the political bias consideration you may have for the warfighting branches of the military. They interdict drugs, illegal aliens, rescue people, and protect the coast from pollution. Hard to have a problem with that. It's also the least military of the armed forces. I would look into a direct commission into the military. As you may know, officer pay is excellent in comparision to a civilian job, plus it's probably more fun. There was a long waiting list for the Coast Guard, however, with the Deepwater spill, maybe they opened up. Good luck.

http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/calc/index.html

#22     Jul 5, 2010
  3. Wilt makes an excellent point. Don't ignore it.

#23     Jul 5, 2010
  4. I don't know what war I despise more.. the war on "terrorism" or the war on drugs.. they are both a joke and the cancer of the economy.

IMO close all the military bases around the world, pay all the troops the same salary to patrol the border in texas for illegal immigrants, legalize all drugs and the economy will be booming by next year.

like i said before... the biggest factor that weighed my decision is that this 3-4 year sentence will look great on my application into a top 5 b-school. And you the tax payer will be banking that.

#24     Jul 5, 2010
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Now that I have read your subsequent posts its clear that you are not a good fit for the military and will likely be miserable there. Better avoid, you won't fit in.

#25     Jul 5, 2010
  6. Yeah, this has bad news written all over it. If you're going to do this, it has to be with a better attitude and an idea of what you want to get out of it. Banging Korean whores can't be at the top of the list, btw.

#26     Jul 5, 2010
  7. im joining the marines and i plan on being on the front lines. im going to protect freedom- funded by china- in Afghanistan. i have nothing to lose really. if i die my last hoorah will be screwing some securitized student loan investor :D

you damn right i have a shitty attitude.. i might even try to start trouble and see if they just throw me in a military jail to serve my time... do i still get paid?

i might even write a book.. something like: 'Undercover anarcho-capitalist economist' - the real story how a econ wizard exposed the fallacy of defense spending from the inside.

#27     Jul 5, 2010
  8. econ wizard???...Thats fucking funny.

Trust me, if you're for real your no wizard. Just another stupid fucking kid who thinks a degree actually means they're smart.

Btw, based on what you've said you'll either get booted out or killed because a failure is a failure plain and simple regardless of what they attempt.

#28     Jul 5, 2010
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Actually, no you don't get paid and when you get out you are virtually unemployable, particularly if you fucked off in a combat zone. Might as well just commit a felony.

#29     Jul 5, 2010
  10. loza

loza Guest

classical trader/gambler thread from ET. As a daytrader you can go broke as a soldier they can blow off your dick or worse...
    good going...on the other hand you might be an officer material and retire after 20 years.....that is if you have the fortitude to hang in there and actually finish something you start...retire at 45, not that bad....

#30     Jul 5, 2010