broke/ unemployed and out of options so i signed up for the military.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by economicZero, Jul 5, 2010.

1. I hope you don't say later, "I didn't sign up to kill people or be killed. I signed up because I needed money".

Remember those whiners who signed up for the National Guard? They said, "I only signed up to go to college, not go to a foreign land and actually fight". :eek:

#11     Jul 5, 2010
  2. i have come to peace with myself.. i was so angry at the united states going to shit, wasting trillions of dollars on a meaningless foreign empire, ignorant defense spending.. but who else can pay me 50k/year cover, write off my student debt... and help me get into a top 10 b-school?

#12     Jul 5, 2010
  3. u are likely on the cutting edge.

If they don't find anything for the unemployed to do soon, we will likely see a massive expansion of the war or new wars so that the elite can Kill off a good portion of the employment problem and create real inflation. It is the ultimate keynesian scheme.

#13     Jul 5, 2010
  4. yet another average joe who has an exagerrated view of their own intelligence and job marketability, yet is humbled by the reality they're not as smart or marketable as they thought.

first, every fucking person thinks their school is a top 20 school. reality: most of these people are from average schools.

second, passing the level 1 CFA doesn't mean jack shit as you are now aware. why didn't you take level 2 and 3 exams? lazy? not confident you can pass them?

#14     Jul 5, 2010
  5. DDK89429

DDK89429

It's getting to the point where government is going to be the employer of last resort. I too am applying for various fed gov jobs, forget state or local, especially in Nevada. Not only are we #1 in unemployment but we're supposedly more broke than Cali. Job market around her is basically non-existent. Good Luck

#15     Jul 5, 2010
  6. bat1

bat1

At least be an Officer, Enlisted sucks

Officers make way more and work less..

I know I Retired from the U.S Army with 23 Years

Good luck to you!

#16     Jul 5, 2010
  7. the fact is that the gov could pay millions of people 50k "salaries" to volunteer for the military.. the real cost is deployment, machinery, fuel, bases around the world, ammunition.. the salaries are a drop in the defense budget

#17     Jul 5, 2010
  8. Why do you have to start such a trollish thread like this with guys dieing everyday in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why are others coming in to degrade the military as the job option of "last resort"? Is this the way you respect people who decide to join the military? Is this the way our soldiers should be looked at and respected?

Any guy who decides to risk his life in this manner is a better man then any of you. For the record, I support the military...I dont support how these wars have been managed.

#18     Jul 5, 2010
  9. i might be poor, unsuccessful but i base my dignity on passing that exam. it is the greatest accomplishment of my life. this year i could not afford to register for lvl 2, but my goal in life is to one day have the designation because i believe it commands respect.

i consider my college a top 20 school because IBs like GS, MS, and Lehman recruited my class. I was hired into the "management training program" at one but apparently I was on the margin b/c I got a call a few weeks before graduation explaining that the headcount was to be reduced but they wanted me for operations. I did the PnL accounting offsite for credit trading. The desk I worked for had a daily gross trading profit avg 700k between 3 traders.

#19     Jul 5, 2010
  10. schizo

schizo

I'm sorry to hear that you had to sell your political conviction for money. Just know that military is like a mafia. You're free to join but you'll have to give up an arm and a leg if you want to leave.

#20     Jul 5, 2010