Broke-- The New American Dream

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Nov 14, 2008.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Michael,

Looking forward to seeing the film. Thanks for doing it. Please keep updating this thread as release details are progressing.

Regards,
    redduke

#21     Nov 17, 2008
  2. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Thanks redduke. The project was an interesting journey started before the current chaos was well known. Some of the more interesting connections for me were trading and poker through the eyes of some very accomplished players from both camps. I hope wide numbers of people have a nice take away when they see how similar Salem Abraham thinks (pro trader) compared to how Howard Lederer (pro poker player) thinks...and how that thinking from both men is useful for everyone.

#22     Nov 17, 2008
  3. Better to be broke than in debt.

#23     Nov 17, 2008
  4. The movie could be interesting.

Am I the only one to notice that surf and Michael Covel bear a family resemblance? Separated at birth? :D

#24     Nov 17, 2008
  5. sounds cool. ive always been skeptical of the connection between poker and trading, but Im interested to see what youve dug up.

#25     Nov 17, 2008
  6. Me, too, especially for anyone other than the largest players. I think backgammon provides a better, if imperfect, comparison.

#26     Nov 17, 2008
  7. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Agreed!

The title "Broke: The New American Dream" is somewhat inspired by the line "Everyone gets what they want..." If many people don't change their behaviors when it comes to money and markets, being broke really is their dream.

#27     Nov 17, 2008
  8. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

For example, their thinking, specifically their thinking in odds, is so similar. If you did not know Lederer and Chris Ferguson were talking poker, you would think they were talking trading.

#28     Nov 17, 2008
  9. RedDuke

RedDuke

My opinion that it is much easier to succeed in poker (and it is a difficult venue no doubt) than in trading. There are much more variables to consider in trading than in poker, and thus the complexity of odds increases dramatically.

#29     Nov 17, 2008
  10. subban

subban

Cause he's more a sales guy. Go to his website. he is resorting to selling coffee mugs and books to make money. Thats what I really want to see in the morning is timay's face on a coffee mug.

#30     Nov 17, 2008