Broke-- The New American Dream

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tell me how the buying mania would have happened if
    1) the authorities had taken proper steps (after LTCM) to ensure the proper safeguards and overseeing those ( in the derivatives market)
    and
    2) ensuring that there was a decent deposit (e.g. 30%) for each purchase rather than lending 100% (or in certain circumstances even more)?

#141     Nov 20, 2008
  2. Mecro

Mecro

I'm dense?

You did not even know about the credit derivatives prior to others bashing it into your head. You do not even know exactly how the process works nor why banks did what they did. It's blatantly obvious from your own posts.
    So STFU because you are clueless and borderline hopeless in the matter. You cannot even answer the question of why is it that all the retards like you are focusing on the deadbeats so much, even though there has always been subprime & deadbeats and high risk lending.

You know what, don't STFU or even bother answering the question which I have posed to you 4 times already. Welcome to ignore.

#142     Nov 20, 2008
  3. Yes you are.

STFU? LOL!!! You lost your cool because I exposed you as being so clueless and dense that you didn't even understand the linkage between individuals and credit derivatives. So now that I've explained it to you and you've lost face, you're trying to recover by making up bullshit about me because you can't dispute my answer. Of course there are no links to substantiate because you're full of hot air as usual.

As for your other question, I'm not focusing on the deadbeats... I'm just taking issue with morons like you who don't recognize their role.

#143     Nov 20, 2008
  4. Tell me how it would have happened without irresponsible/greedy/stupid people living beyond their means, buying houses they couldn't afford.

Do you also think fat people should be able to sue McDonald's?

#144     Nov 20, 2008
  5. You are evading the answer by replying with your own question.

keep walloping in your delusion.

I'm done with your stupidity, on ignore you go.

#145     Nov 20, 2008
  6. I did answer your question you fool, you just didn't like the answer because you have no concept of personal responsibility and equate adults with 3 year olds. So "keep walloping in your delusion" LOL.

#146     Nov 20, 2008
  7. drjmpc

drjmpc

Here is a excerpt from my linkedin post that gives a brief, but detailed explanation:
    Now I have first hand knowledge of how bad some this gets from the within the Mortgage industry. As someone who has been a Foreclosure Analyst, Loan Officer for a Mortgage Broker/Banker, and a Licensed Financial Advisor, I have seen some rotten looking deals out there. So the culpability is definitely there from that end.
    But the big banks that bought these products and then sold them as bundled portfolios know that alot of due diligence was be swept under the rug.
    Additionally, the NGO's [Fannie & Freddie] know that they did/should have had rules like the VA for reconveyance that state -- "if you convey a loan that was originate improperly, you [the firm] can be fined or worse, and you will have to eat this loan and all of the associate costs if it is foreclosed on."

Instead, they put their heads down, said thanks, diced, rolled, and slice up these portfolios like sushi with stuffed with puffer fish to IB's who played a game of musical chairs with those products.... So

Still, after the dust settles, a real way out [read: a CDO & Swaps EXCHANGE] will have to be devised. No market is real until you can Identify what a willing buyer will pay at a point a seller is willing to sell. Everything else will just be gnashing of the teeth.

#147     Nov 20, 2008
  8. drjmpc

drjmpc

I have to agree with the analysis some economists are giving; indicating that it will likely take years for this to shake out completely. Still, I expect that we will find really solid ground on the other side. As a former foreclosure analyst, financial advisor, budding real estate investor and loan officer in Central Ohio at different points and time throughout the last 8 years, I had an opportunity to see every part of this crisis develop from nearly every aspect. And while I must say that this crisis has played a unique role in my decision to pursue a career change into Financial Engineering/Quantitative Trading, there were two problems that all the numbers are screaming, but no one wants to spend more than a sentence or two describing it -- fundamentals & behavior.

At some point, when you see a house has smoke coming from it, you should notice that smoke is coming out of multiple windows -- not the damn chimney.

Homeowner:
    If your budget only allows for you to afford a $800 a month mortgage payment in Cincinnati, why are you moving to Chicago for the same comparative pay and buying a house the will cost you $780 this year, but will go up to $1119 at the end of 3 years ? Cost of living increase aside, you have to a financial plan in place to utilize such an instrument and it needs to be for specific, purpose – such as a distinct opportunity that facilitates switching career fields [i.e. a telecommuting opportunity that allows you to complete Business School/Law School and will likely have advancement opportunities upon completion of said graduate school work]. In situations such as that, it is a chance, but at least it makes sense because it supports a clear goal that should in turn make the mortgage increase affordable in the near future, should a refinance not become a reality.

Mortgage Brokers:
    Why are you forwarding Appraisals on properties that were using inflated comps? If you know that bloated Lease-Purchase sales agreements where the Landlord/Real Estate Investor was charging essentially a usury rate of interest in the form of an over-inflated sales price, then how can you ethically close a loan for a renter/homeowner to-be as an 80 or 90% LTV ARM [read: Adjustable Rate Morgtgage] mortgage that behaves like "refinance" which is on a property you know is financed at closer to 115% of the true LTV even if the appraisal "suggests" that it supports the sales price? Folks, we all know that without some sort of macro economic stimulus, housing prices just don't go up at a sustained pace of 6-8% in any one metro [let alone one ZIP CODE] for more than a 2-3 years... people have to actually afford to pay the note on the property AND the taxes and insurance...

Loan Portfolio Director:
    Why would you purchase mortgages from Mortgage Brokers who are behaving as mortgage bankers just so they can close loans, only to wholesale it within 90 days so that they do not have meet certain loan servicing & compliance standards and put an extra $6,000-$10,000 in the coffers, knowing that many are using less than ethical methods [read: smoke and mirrors that are often just plan fraudulent tactics -- see above] to close these loans?

Trading Desk Manager:
    Why are you trading a security or derivative that no one seems to be able to establish ANY solid fundamental value on? I mean based on what I just stated and adding in over-utilitzation of leverage [really at every end of the game], how in the world did they expect for this NOT to happen sooner?

#148     Nov 20, 2008