Broke people are buying million dollar houses again.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Nov 20, 2009.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/business/20limits.html?em

A couple of almost broke guys pooled their cash together to come up with a 3.5% down payment and bought a house for nearly a million dollars.

"It was kind of crazy we could get this big a loan,” said Mr. Rowland, 27. “If a government official came out here, I would slap him a high-five.”

Do you guys really see a recovery in sight with this kind of stuff happening?

2. Government is desperate to get loan volume "going" again, but banks want to lend only to qualified borrowers...

3. pspr

pspr

I read that the USDA is even making home loans now to rural areas or suburb towns of less than 20,000 residents. We're looking to buy a home in Texas but didn't fit into the income threshold for the USDA.

I think fiancial collapse II can't be far behind with this crap going on.

4. new$

new$

5. pitz

pitz

Yeah no kidding, all these loan programs are like giving heroin and crystal meth to an fat man with a broken leg, and then expecting him to go out and run a marathon.

Sure, he might be able to do it for a while, but in the end, he will collapse into a pile of fat.

6. Your imagery is great... perhaps you can get a job writing for Obama.."pile of fat"... LOL

7. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdIwPh5-bKs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdIwPh5-bKs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    This story made me thinking fight club, the movie.

There aren't many fat people in SA, I guess.

8. You really gotta be a fool with new money to pay 150 million dollars for that. It would actually be cheaper to buy a couple of the 5 million dollar properties next to that house, demolish them, then build an identical house save 100 million in the process.

It cant cost any more than 20 million to build a 56k sq ft house. A normal house can be build for about 80 to 100$ per sq ft. so even at $300 per sqft, it would be under 20 million to build an identical house. Heck..even at 1,000$per sq ft it would still only be 56 million.

9. ^^^ The strangest part of the article describes how, during construction, Spelling would dash across the street to buy a hot dog from a street vendor. What kind of neighborhood is it that there are street vendors selling hot dogs? The only places I know where this occurs are busy downtown areas. I've never seen a hot dog vendor in the burbs. What's up w/Holmby Hills?

10. romik

romik

In poker when you're down 80% in order to recoup losses psychology wins many times & you go ALL_IN. USSA is going ALL_IN.

#10     Nov 21, 2009