Broke My Futures Cherry Today!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by ess1096, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ess1096

ess1096

After 3 years of trading stocks and a year and a half of trading options I finally added another tool to the toolbox and made the natural progression to futures trading. Opened a TradeStation account last week and spent the past week exploring the platform while waiting for my funds to settle.
    Felt comfortable enough with the platform to pull the trigger today and sold YM at 13,149. Bought it back 34 minutes later at 13,115. Not a huge profit ($170) but as traders you all know how important the first kill is to your confidence. :D

Funny thing is I tried to sell YM earlier in the day at 13,200 but quickly realized I needed to explore the order bar a little more.

2. mde2004

mde2004

You will give it right back on Monday unless you have a tested strategy.

3. ess1096

ess1096

What makes you so sure?
    Do you know me? Do I know you? No, you don't know me so don't assume I'm as stupid as you.

4. Nice one... Way to stick it to the Minions of negativity.....

5. I'm really sad that trade station doesn't have a simulator. Unless they added one. I'm still on eSignal.

Caj

6. sileiro22

sileiro22

Thanks for posting, ess1096. I'm in a similar situation, incl. getting ready to open up with TradeStation (I'm going to start trading the ES) and using that week lag time to play with the system... Any tips/major surprises in using TS?

Good luck!

7. Yep - don't trade through them. :D

Their matrix is clunky and customer service is a joke. Good luck if you need to contact someone immediately while in a position.

8. ess1096

ess1096

Well, it's Monday and I didn't give it all back. I didn't kill em' either, made a modest gain for the day, but didn't give any back. :cool:

each trade = 1 YM contract

9. ess1096

ess1096

I am not the guy to ask about TS surprises because I am still exploring all the features of it myself. So far I like the platform, but I have only been making discretionary trades with it. I won't automate until I'm very confident that I have a positive edge.

Good luck.

10. OK OK--In all fairness I did find a simu for TS in their forums. It uses an excel plugin.

#10     Sep 26, 2007