Broadband Access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mksummny, Jul 23, 2003.

1. sammybea

sammybea

Does any other company provide hardware that does the same thing? I would def get it if its a name i recognize. Not Nexland.

#11     Jul 24, 2003
  2. product at this price. There are others but we are talking over 2k for the routers. There is nothing wrong with nexland I have used them for about 8 months now and I have had no problems with them.

#12     Jul 24, 2003
  3. Banjo

Banjo

#13     Jul 24, 2003
  4. If someone's trading (scalper or whatever) will suffer seriously from an 8 second stall/outage, there's something fundamental that's seriously wrong.

My God, you can get hit with an unexpected internet traffic stall of more than an 8 seconds at one of the internet routers along the multi-hop path you're connected through.

The internet aint just that last 1000 feet from your home to some broadband nexus point. All you need is some hacker slamming high traffic at a key internet router somewhere between you and the quote provider/broker/etc. to stall you temporarily for 8-10 seconds.

These days that's more likely than a failure of your "last mile" connection.

#14     Jul 24, 2003
  5. mksummny,

Where can you buy the Turbo Pro800 for $200 bucks? The cheapest price I can find on the new is about $350.

Thanks,

Runningbear

#15     Jul 25, 2003
  6. check EBAY I see them on there all the time

#16     Jul 25, 2003
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

Does anyone know if Nexland ISB Pro 800 Router will work with IB's TWS?

#17     Jul 25, 2003
  8. There's something wrong with your assessment. If you're a scalper, 8 seconds is too long. Sometimes, scalpers are in trades for less than 8 seconds. From the statement you made, you are clueless to scalping. Its not like just sitting around watching delayed level I quotes. A real scalper can appreciate milliseconds of speed improvement. You probably don't even have level II quotes.

#18     Jul 25, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

A real large volume scalper wont be on network connections that route over the public internet .... So this whole discussion is pointless.

Can you scalp over public connections ? Some do ... But they had better be prepared for the risk of the situation described, namely the failure of a key internet service point. Real scalpers - and large volume bandwidth users - will have redundant leased lines in place with multiple routes to their provider points and multiple providers .....

#19     Jul 25, 2003
  10. most internet providers have pipes(usually t-3 coming off of an OC-48 fiber Ring)
    these are already redundant. The point of having 2 seperate connections from 2 seperate companies is to get around if something happens to one of them. MOst of the time the providers have their own fiber rings, therefore if something were to happen to one companies fiber ring you can depend on the second line. In this scenario you will not have to worry about internet outages, unless we are talking massive east coast or west coast outages.

#20     Jul 25, 2003