British debt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, Apr 21, 2011.

1. morganist

morganist Guest

2. dtan1e

dtan1e

the site doesn't drill into where Gordon Brown spends it all, and its not in public welfare!

3. morganist

morganist Guest

As far as I can gather a lot of it went to doctors. Their pay seemed to increase exponentially. The NHS wage bill trebbled in the first term of the labour government.

I have never really figured out why the pay increased so much.

4. Well as an American, all I can say is I hope Britain doesn't dig itself into a hole as big as we have.

5. morganist

morganist Guest

Actually I think it is a lot worse. We have £1.46 tn private debt on top.

6. dtan1e

dtan1e

i kind of doubt all the doctors pay put together can be that much, when talking about exponential growth in the units of billions and trillions, unless there is a clear audit of where it all went, they never going to solve the problem, if u don't know where the hole is how can one plug the haemorrhage, clearly they sh fire all the jokers

7. morganist

morganist Guest

The cost of the NHS is £100 bn a year. This is mainly made up of pay and that rose by three fold. Although admittibly it went to other places too. Quangos.

8. '80,000 on benefits in UK due to addiction, obesity'
    "More than 80,000 Britons claim payments for long-term sick leave because of
    obesity or drug or alcohol addiction, contributing to a £7 billion pound annual bill
    for Incapacity Benefit, the government said on Thursday.
    As part of its welfare reforms, the government has started reassessing the circum-
    stances of 1.9 million people off work on Incapacity Benefit to see if they are fit
    enough to return to employment."
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/21/us-benefits-addiction-obesity-idUSTRE73K79Z20110421

9. LeeD

LeeD

It's because GPs were no longer required to work in the evenings or on week-ends... or visist patients at all for that matter.

On a serious note, doctors were paid for reaching targets, not for keeping patients healthy... and the system was made very easy to game. Just give panadol to nearly healthy people and collect the paycheck. Send people with actual problems somewhere else. My favourite story is about hospitals that kept people in ambulances for hours so that the hospital can meet the target of waiting time after patients are admited to the hospital.

10. LeeD

LeeD

Compare this to the number of "work-shy" people:
    "Almost five million people are stuck on out of work benefits in the UK, with 1.4 million getting hand-outs for nine out of the last ten years."

#10     Apr 21, 2011