Bring back the draft

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dgabriel, Apr 3, 2003.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

I must admit that the biggest percentage of pictures I have seen from this War have Hispanics and Blacks in them.......you would think it was Cuba invading Iraq....
    :D

Many have chosen the armed forces as a way out ( a way to pay for school , a way out of the ghetto ) and it has been an excellent chose for most them, if in fact they find themselves in combat it is part of the job they chose to volunteer for and a great way they can serve their country......peace

#11     Apr 3, 2003
    #12     Apr 3, 2003
  3. WOW. great points...never thought about it that way...

Personally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I would probably support a draft for everybody, since we all should share in the burden of keeping our country safe. However, the competitive aspect of our military would probably deteriorate, and that may not be worth the cost...

Also, some western european countries like germany have something like a 2 year period of mandatory civil service for everyone after high school (as best as I can recall -- been a while since i've been there). It could be any kind of duty; military or civil, and I think it is a great idea to foist some sense of domestic responsibility on young people...

#13     Apr 3, 2003
  4. ....Yeah. let's emulate German military policies......shrewd..

#14     Apr 3, 2003
  5. Yep. Those Germans are to militaristic. But they do invade France every couple generations, so they do have one redeeming quality.

#15     Apr 3, 2003
  6. lundy

lundy

lol.

The reason for decreased number of troops is because of technology. I suspect that in 50 years, we'll have robots fight our wars. Then they will implement a draft for technicians to build and operate them.

Really though... I don't think we will be able to continue military developments at the current rate. A nuclear world war 3 is inevitable.

They don't build those things to store them. They build them to use them.

#16     Apr 3, 2003
  7. The point is clear: To canvass the opinions of the ET community on required national service. That's all. I should have put a question mark at the end of the sentence: "Bring Back The Draft?" so that the rabid do not go off the deep end. I did not mean to make a statement, but to raise an issue.

I am not obviously against the war. You never asked me if I am against the war. Go try to dig up a quote from me where I stated opposition to the war in principle, or my having regarded it as unjust. You won't be able to. While I argued for the rights of protestors, I support the end goals of the invasion: regime change, democratization in Arab lands, curtailment and denial of Islamic extremism and terrorism, Israeli-Palestinian peace.

Mondo raises a good point? Please.

The problem with internet dialogue is that people such as you and Mondo in your gusto to make personal attacks attribute opinions to others where there is no evidence that they hold those opinions.

I never served in the military. I am well beyond draft age now but registered for the draft after Congress amended the Selctive Service Act in about 1980. I support the idea that the burden of war should be shared by all in an equitable fashion. Don't you?

Yes there are other ways to serve the country, and I offered that as an option in the poll. Go read it again.

#17     Apr 3, 2003

8. Don't worry TM, within 100 years, white's will be the minority in America; you'll get your break.

#18     Apr 3, 2003
  9. TM,

Jesse Helms said "He is not my Commander in Chief" about Clinton, not Rangel. A treasonous statement if ever I heard one!

#19     Apr 3, 2003
  10. ...or we could just be liek Europe and have racial cleansing every 20 years or so.....and then pretend it didn't happen

#20     Apr 3, 2003