Bright Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Weasel, Sep 26, 2002.

1. ok, well i have "documented studies" also that put the figure squarely at 80% over 5 years, so obviously one of us is looking at the wrong figures. i'll bite the bullet on this one. (still, i can't help thinking 90% in ONE year is astronomically high. it's only ONE YEAR for cryin' out loud! what the hell are these people doing so wrong that they're on the street in a year???)

secondly, your mathematical semantics really defeat the purpose of using percentage terms.
    just think of it as two trading firm, A and B. 50% of A's traders survive first year, 40% of B's.
    Firm A has a survival rate 10% higher than firm B, yes or no?

#101     Oct 11, 2002
  2. Thanks for both the semantic and mathematical adjustments and validations.

Don

#102     Oct 11, 2002
  3. onondaga

onondaga

No, 25%.

#103     Oct 11, 2002
  4. Correct.

50% for A
    40% for B
    Both relative to the benchmark of 100%, (50-40)/100 = .10

But, relative to each other...
    A, from B's perspective is 25% higher, (50-40)/40 = .25

#104     Oct 11, 2002
  5. Good traders will prosper even with mediocre equipment, support and poor training. Bad traders will fail even with the best high-speed equipment and super training.

Worry about your own trading and not about what percentages the other firms are bandying about. That is all marketing BS anyway.

#105     Oct 11, 2002
  6. It seems the jest of the argument IS the clearing partner if I am not mistaken. Is it even possible to get different EDAT software and hardware if you clear via SLK? (I don't think so)

Then the problem is the same in every SLK prop firm. (That is not on wall street) SLK has tech support in New York and Chicago and SF where they have offices. If you are in a place where you don't, I think they are SOL.

How many firms do you think clears with SLK? ETG is one I know
    that is big (many offices in the US)
    In regards of old equipment... hell, no comment. I have two PC's and none are brand new. You won't make more money by trading flat monitors and new equipment. that angle is silly....

#106     Oct 11, 2002
  7. Actually, we can choose whatever "front end" we like, and we have tried several. We're happy with Redi, they write special programs for us, and are always upgrading. Different systems have different "specialities" - and we are always testing new stuff, but at this point, Redi is fine. SLK will allow us to do pretty much whatever we like (it's a nice position to be in, and like in all business arrangements, it goes 2 ways).

Don

#107     Oct 11, 2002
  8. Kaizen

Kaizen

I believe ETG switched to instinet's platform a few weeks ago after finally getting fed up with redi platform's failure to keep up with others.

#108     Oct 11, 2002
  9. ETG's switch to Instinet (in process)had little if any, to do with Redi, as I was told, and we tried the GR8trade system here, and although it's fine, it is keyboard based, not mouse driven, and our guys didn't want it at this point, but who knows, we may offer it as an option

We keep an open mind on such things, and like I said, we are always testing new stuff right here in Vegas.

Remember Redi is owned by many major players, not SLK, which makes it the prime candidate when orders start getting internalized (sooner than you may think).

Anyway, it's all about having choices.

Don

#109     Oct 11, 2002
  10. "which makes it the prime candidate when orders start getting internalized (sooner than you may think). "

What do you mean by "internalized"?

#110     Oct 11, 2002